1993 Honda Accord Muffler

PERCHCV
  • 1993 HONDA ACCORD
1993 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 215 k miles

I've had this car for six years and have gone through four mufflers. I'm now about ready for the fifth. Is there any specific type of muffler I can use to extend the muffler life? The engine is in great shape 33mpg on the highway, 27mpg around town and burns no oil.
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 AT 3:03 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

I feel that you do a lot of short trips is this so? What is happening is that your exhaust & engine is not getting up to normal operation temp and as a result the water produced in the exhaust(nearly 1 liter of water is produced per liter of fuel burned) is condensing back into a liquid and laying in the muffler and causing the rusting, one simple fix is that you can drill a small drain hole only need about 1/8"or slightly less in the lower back portion of the muffler this will help drain any excess moisture away, this was a standard feature on many mufflers years ago, but it has been removed, alternatively you can have a stainless muffler fitted, this will last the life of the car under normal conditions.

Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 AT 5:33 PM