1992 HONDA ACCORD 92 HONDA ACCORD WON'T START AFTER REPLACI

• shawnee99
  • 1992 Honda Accord

1992 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 173000 miles

I recently replaced the cylinder head, water pump, timing/balance shaft belt on my 92 accord. I also added a cold air intake and high performance headers. The car ran fine the first time it cranked, the next day it was missing on cylinders 2& 4, compressions were 120psi each cylinder. All 4 plugs spark. This was done w/o any back pressure. I had a mini turbo exhaust installed and the car ran fine for a couple of miles then started missing; top speed was 55mph. I managed to get it home and it will not start. I changed fuel injectors from a junk yard and it will not start. Any suggestions?

Wednesday, January 6th, 2010 AT 7:52 AM

• racefan966

Ok so do you still have spark? If so have you sprayed throttle body cleaner in the intake to see it is will start then? Let me know what you find.

Wednesday, January 6th, 2010 AT 10:31 AM
  • shawnee99

I do have a spark, I cleaned everything except the throttle body when I had it apart. I did notice the fule injectors were bent and the filters messed up after I over-torqued the injector mounting bolts. I will clean the throttle body and let you know.

Thanks for replying.

Wednesday, January 6th, 2010 AT 12:19 PM
  • shawnee99

I actually removed the throttle body and exchanged it with one that I cleaned from a salvage yard. I also cleaned and replaced the fuel injectors. The car turns over, but will not start. I hear a popping sound in the exhaust. The plugs are in the correct firing order. Is it possible for the vehicle to slip timing? I also noticed the spark plugs were wet. Could this hinder the starting of the engine?

Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 8:58 AM
  • racefan966

It sounds like something isn't in line. Either the timing belt tensioner wasn't all the way tensioned or the distributor is out or? I would check my timing marks first now that it is popping.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_176.jpg

Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 10:18 AM
  • shawnee99

I checked the distributor and it does rotate while cranking. I will check the timing marks. I just put it back together and really hate to go through that process again. I will let you know.

Thanks.

Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 12:56 PM
  • racefan966

If you check out the pic I included you should only have to pull the upper cover and then put on TDC and see if the timing mark lines up and the cam marks line up and distributor is pointed to number one. Make sure you are on the compression stroke.

Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 10:08 AM
  • shawnee99

Thanks,
I will check it and let you know.

Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 8:19 PM
  • racefan966

Ok great.

Saturday, January 9th, 2010 AT 9:04 AM
  • shawnee99

I checked the TDC marking on the cam. They correct on the compression stroke with the distributor firing at #1 cylinder. The markings on pulley, balance shaft and oil pump are correct. Any other suggestions?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/459237_Honda_Accord_002_1.jpg

Monday, January 11th, 2010 AT 9:46 PM
  • racefan966

Ok have you checked for spark? If not please do, just simply unplug a spark plug wire from the plug and put a screwdriver in the end and put it near metal (like the valve cover) and crank it and see if there is spark also if there is spark what color is it. Have you checked to see if any wires got pinched during the previous repair. Get back to me.

Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 10:09 AM