1992 Honda Accord 92 Honda Accord won't start after replaci

SHAWNEE99
  • 1992 HONDA ACCORD

1992 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 173000 miles

I recently replaced the cylinder head, water pump, timing/balance shaft belt on my 92 accord. I also added a cold air intake and high performance headers. The car ran fine the first time it cranked, the next day it was missing on cylinders 2&4, compressions were 120psi each cylinder. All 4 plugs spark. This was done w/o any back pressure. I had a mini turbo exhaust installed and the car ran fine for a couple of miles then started missing; top speed was 55mph. I managed to get it home and it will not start. I changed fuel injectors from a junk yard and it will not start. Any suggestions?

Wednesday, January 6th, 2010 AT 7:52 AM

RACEFAN966

Ok so do you still have spark? If so have you sprayed throttle body cleaner in the intake to see it is will start then? Let me know what you find.

Wednesday, January 6th, 2010 AT 10:31 AM
SHAWNEE99

I do have a spark, I cleaned everything except the throttle body when I had it apart. I did notice the fule injectors were bent and the filters messed up after I over-torqued the injector mounting bolts. I will clean the throttle body and let you know.

Thanks for replying.

Wednesday, January 6th, 2010 AT 12:19 PM
SHAWNEE99

I actually removed the throttle body and exchanged it with one that I cleaned from a salvage yard. I also cleaned and replaced the fuel injectors. The car turns over, but will not start. I hear a popping sound in the exhaust. The plugs are in the correct firing order. Is it possible for the vehicle to slip timing? I also noticed the spark plugs were wet. Could this hinder the starting of the engine?

Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 8:58 AM
RACEFAN966

It sounds like something isn't in line. Either the timing belt tensioner wasn't all the way tensioned or the distributor is out or? I would check my timing marks first now that it is popping.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_176.jpg

+1
Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 10:18 AM
SHAWNEE99

I checked the distributor and it does rotate while cranking. I will check the timing marks. I just put it back together and really hate to go through that process again. I will let you know.

Thanks.

Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 12:56 PM
RACEFAN966

If you check out the pic I included you should only have to pull the upper cover and then put on TDC and see if the timing mark lines up and the cam marks line up and distributor is pointed to number one. Make sure you are on the compression stroke.

Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 10:08 AM
SHAWNEE99

Thanks,
I will check it and let you know.

Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 8:19 PM
RACEFAN966

Ok great.

Saturday, January 9th, 2010 AT 9:04 AM
SHAWNEE99

I checked the TDC marking on the cam. They correct on the compression stroke with the distributor firing at #1 cylinder. The markings on pulley, balance shaft and oil pump are correct. Any other suggestions?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/459237_Honda_Accord_002_1.jpg

Monday, January 11th, 2010 AT 9:46 PM
RACEFAN966

Ok have you checked for spark? If not please do, just simply unplug a spark plug wire from the plug and put a screwdriver in the end and put it near metal (like the valve cover) and crank it and see if there is spark also if there is spark what color is it. Have you checked to see if any wires got pinched during the previous repair. Get back to me.

Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 10:09 AM
SHAWNEE99

I have a white spark. I will check to see if there are any wires or lines pinched.

Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 4:01 PM
KHLOW2008

Recheck the ground connection at the thermostat housing. Quite often it is forgotten to be securely tightened and that would cause non starting.

Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 8:15 AM
SHAWNEE99

Thanks, I will recheck and let you know.

Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 9:19 AM
RACEFAN966

Great do that and we will take it from there.

Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 10:07 AM
SHAWNEE99

I checked the ground wire to the thermostat housing and it is secure. I also changed the spark plug wires, distributor and button. I tried to start it and it sounded better attempting to crank except I am hearing a and feeling a strong 'chirp' sound as the car turns over. The lights go dim with the 'chirping' sound. I am still thinking it may be my timing. Would you suggest starting from scratch and actually visualize the timing?

Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 7:32 PM
RACEFAN966

I still think that the distributor is out. I would recheck the timing alignment and then make sure you are on compression strock with both valves closed in cylinder 1 and then make sure the distributor isn't 180 degrees out, or that the plug wires are in the right order. Here is pic of the firing order and the distributor rotation. Check this first before going in to deep ok. Let me know what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_181.jpg

Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 9:13 PM
SHAWNEE99

I rotated the plugs to the correct firing order. The vehicle started but runs like it did before. Missing and boggs down with acceleration of the gas pedal. The engine light is also on while the car is running.

Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 11:15 PM
RACEFAN966

Ok great it runs again that is a step in the right direction. Now lets check the timing ok. First pull the rubber plug on the top of the bellhousing on the back side of the engine. Now remove the kick panel on the passenger side. Now you will find a two wire terminal with one orange wire with a red stripe and one wire that is green with white stripe. Make a jumper wire or use a paper clip and jump the term (see pic below). Now start it and check the timing (refer to second pic below). Let me know how it goes.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_182.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic1_29.jpg

Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 10:47 AM
SHAWNEE99

I jumped the above mention jumper, started the car and checked the white TDC line. The line stays mostly in the middle and bounced a little before or after the pointer on the block. It is running but still missing. The engine light blinks slow then rapidly.
I have three codes:
41 which deals with my O2 heater sensor heat, 16: fuel injectors, all work fine except the #2 cylinder, same problem after replacing the injector.
7: TPS. I am puzzled as to why the these worked prior and not now.

The sparks from the plugs are blue.
Thanks.

Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 6:03 PM
RACEFAN966

Ok if you would ohm the injector and then ohm the spark plug wire. Get back to me with the ohms on both and include the length of the wire with ohms on it. We will get this it just may a take a few.

Friday, January 15th, 2010 AT 10:02 AM