1992 Accord fails to start intermitantly

STEPOP1
  • 1992 HONDA ACCORD
This is a 1992 Accord with 132 CID 16 valve engine. It has about 70,000 miles.

Occassionaly when I drive the car and stop then get back in to start the car it will start for a split second and die. The all the turning over in the world will not start it. I shut it off and wait and after 5 minutes it will restart. It seems to me like something is shutting off the fuel or spark or both. Sometimes this is accompanied by a transmission problem too. This has an automatic with 4 drive speeds. When it is not starting the D4 indicator wil blink and after it DOES start the D4 gear will not have any power at all. In these cases I have to put it in a lower gear to drive the car. When I shut it off and start it again this problem often goes away.

Is there a sensor that can for any reason cut fuel and spark and could also effect the autio trans? If not a sensor, what?
Monday, May 28th, 2007 AT 3:29 AM

DESERTSHADOW
The main relay's are famous for being intermittent, ESPECIALLY in high-heat! Your symptoms are classic. There is a great myspace where a guy has pix for step-by-step replacement of Main Relay, located beneath dash above steering column/gas pedal.
Good Luck
Sunday, July 1st, 2007 AT 3:55 PM
BRUCE HUNT
Pull out the EFI relay and the location given by desertshadow is right. Look at the connections and resolder or replace the unit.
Monday, July 2nd, 2007 AT 8:34 AM