1991 Honda Accord staring problem

BDICKEY
  • 1991 HONDA ACCORD
My car will not start when the weather is hot outside. It starts fine in the cold and when it is not to hot.
Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 12:17 PM

F4I_GUY
When it doesn't start, does it crank or not?
Monday, June 28th, 2010 AT 7:27 PM
18SECHONDA
Prob the same prob my car had. I have a 91 accord that started off stalling then wouldnt start at all. For me it was a main relay but id first make sure your fuel pump is still working by listening for the whirring sound whien you turn your key to 3. If it does then id try replacing the main relay. If not then it may be a fuel pump or fuel pump relay, spark plugs or bad coil/distributor
Tuesday, June 29th, 2010 AT 12:55 AM
STEVEAL01
I just got out of having this problem but mine also had tranny codes pop up. Would not start and was starving for fuel. Main relay was problem and is problematic in hot whether. Replace or RE-solder (old solder joints must be removed first before you solder for good conductivity) main relay. No problems or codes after my re-solder.
Thursday, July 1st, 2010 AT 3:50 PM
18SECHONDA
Relays are only $30 at napa and have been updated from the older ones anyway. Its worth the $ to buy a new one rather than soldering the old one and havin more problems in the near future
Thursday, July 1st, 2010 AT 10:36 PM
STEVEAL01
I wish it was $30. California, was no lower than $50 and napa has it for 65.99 or online for 61.99. You are correct, I assume it has been updated, but budget wise re-solder is a way.
Friday, July 2nd, 2010 AT 8:56 AM
KHLOW2008
I have been resoldering the relays for more years and vehicles that I can remember and none of them has been back for a return job or have the same problem again.

The relay is supposed to work a lifetime and the problem was due to faults with manufacturing than the product quality.
Sunday, July 4th, 2010 AT 5:35 AM
18SECHONDA
Well for jobs like mine it may be more difficult. When I removed the plastic housing to inspect the soldering job it all looked fine from what I could see but when I decided to replace it all together it fixed the problem. If its easy to see where the solder is broken and you know how to do it then id go for it. If not you should just order a new one in my opinion
Sunday, July 4th, 2010 AT 11:15 PM
KHLOW2008
There are not many soldered joints, and simple thumb of rule, resolder them all and you are safe.

While soldering you would be able to distinguish which is bad.

I have more confidence in resoldering than replacement relays.
Monday, July 5th, 2010 AT 2:07 PM
18SECHONDA
Understandable. But I trust the manufacturers to get the job done right. Maybr just because im no electric wiz
Tuesday, July 6th, 2010 AT 1:51 AM
KHLOW2008
From what I understand from Honda, the problem realys are mostly those made during winter whereby the weather plays a part in the solders being not up to standard.

Seems moisture in the air is the main reason. Honda makes their product too precise so any minor hitches causes a lot of problem for them.
Tuesday, July 6th, 2010 AT 6:34 AM
18SECHONDA
And in addition to what khlow2008 said, other sites have been saying the original placement for the relays kind of sucked and the link I sent earlier suggest a new mounting place for the relay after it is replaced or repaired that seems more efficient
Wednesday, July 7th, 2010 AT 1:26 AM
STEVEAL01
The soldering cracks are times very hard to spot (very fine hareline cracks) that causes this big mess. KHLow2008 is correct, once you re-solder correctly this should permenantly solve the problem.
About re-locating, that is because of accessability. It is burried behind the cruse control box which requires you to remove all that. I read that you just need to mount in reverse to the main relay to sit beside the cruse control box vs. Underneith so next time (hope it doesn't) happen again, you just remove relay from casing w/o having to unbolt anything. During hot whether, there is no way for that relay not to get hot no matter where it's located (in my opinion)when windows are closed and been sitting in high heat for hours, but I also read and done was to create small holes on top of casing. For ventalation. Just extra precaution for me.
Wednesday, July 7th, 2010 AT 12:00 PM