Car cranks but will not start

SAULG77
  • 1991 HONDA ACCORD
Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic.

The car cranks but will not start. Distributor has been replaced, so there is spark. There is adequate fuel pressure. The main relay has also been replaced, still cannot figure out why it will not start.
Monday, May 3rd, 2010 AT 3:09 PM

HONDAMIKE
You stated that you have spark and fuel pressure, but it cranks over, but does not start. If this were my car, where would I start? I would confirm that there is spark at the plugs. Use a spark tester (can get at any parts store) or use a screwdriver and put it in the wire and check if it sparks to a ground, like the valve cover nut. If there is spark, I would confirm not only do I have fuel pressure, but that the pressure is within specs. You need to attach a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and see what the pressure is. If you have both spark to the plugs and fuel to the cylinders, then check to make sure the wires were installed properly when the distributor was replaced. If you have spark and fuel, car should run. Start with that and let me know.
+1
Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 AT 6:41 PM
SAULG77
Everything is in order; spark pug wires are on correctly, there is spark, the fuel pressure is good, checked all the fuse and relays. The only thing I can think of is a problem with the ECM. There is a little red light, when I open the switch it flashes and quickly turns off. When I start cranking it it will not come on at all. The TCM, also has the same light and stays on while I am cranking the car. Do you think its the ECM? Thanks so much for your help.
+2
Friday, May 7th, 2010 AT 1:41 PM
RED2924
  • 1991 HONDA ACCORD
Car will not start. I checked distributor cap for spark with screw driver and I did not see spark on metal. Also checked button but it rotates. I do not hear fuel pump when I turn key. It has done this before but after repeated tries it starts. I have changed wires and spark plug when this happened before after new wires it started right up.
Tuesday, June 26th, 2018 AT 5:22 PM (Merged)
Possibly a main relay problem.

Go to this link and then let me know: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start
RED2924
What main relay and where is located?
See below.
RED2924
Okay, what color is it and how do I know if it is bad?
T MARTZ
  • 1991 HONDA ACCORD
This has been an on going problem for about two years. It started this problem on occasion, sometimes months apart. Recently the problem has become more frequent. It occurs mostly when the weather is very warm and after the vehicle has been run for awhile, although on occasion it will not start when cold. When I say will not start, the engine turns over but will not fire. When this happens if we wait twenty minutes, sometimes an hour or so the car will start like there was never an issue and run fine. There may not be another issue like this for several days or a week. Then the same problem again. Hope you can help, Thanks.
When it does not start, you need to check if there is spark to the plugs and fuel to the engine. A simple way to check is by seeing if the engine will start if you use starting fluid. Try that and let me know what happens.
Tuesday, June 26th, 2018 AT 5:23 PM (Merged)
T MARTZ
I replaced the distributor cap and rotor, seemed to help.
I do not feel that is the cause. However, anything is possible. Do this; if it happens again, check to see if there is a good hot blue spark to the plugs and the fuel pressure is within spec. An easy way to check is to see if the engine will start using starting fluid. If it does start, then there is no fuel getting to the engine. If it does not start, there is no spark.

Let me know if it happens again and what happens if you try the starting fluid.
MIKE0120
  • 1991 HONDA ACCORD
Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic.

Hello, for some reason my wife's car will not start. I work out of town and I just came home to her telling me the car would not start. So this is what I have got out of her. She said she started it and was going to go to the store. Sitting in the drive way it started to run real ruff. Then she drove up the hill and it shut off. Would not start after that so she coasted it down the hill back into the garage. I came home and looked at the car. First I thought it might of thrown the timing belt. I pulled the distributor cap all turns good. But for some reason it seems like it is spinning faster then normal. It seems like no spark. I am not real sure what the heck the problem is can somebody Please help me!
BMRFIXIT
Check timing belt by removing front timing cover.
Check for any missing teeth.
If all okay no spark suspect bad distributor.
+1
MIKE0120
Timing belt is good no missing teeth, Pulled distributor and checked coil (good) checked ignition module (had to replace). Put all back together and still will not start.
BMRFIXIT
I always replaced the distributor as a unit.
If you have no spark and you have power to the distributor with key on
I would replace the distributor.
KHLOW2008
http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Have you checked for sparks?

Above links shows what to look for.
ELIZABETHWILSON
  • 1991 HONDA ACCORD
My car will not start. I know the battery is bad. Can a bad battery keep it from starting even with a jump? We traced the fuel and it is getting it to the injectors. It acts like it is just not getting spark. We also changed the plugs
ASEMASTER6371
Possible. However, I would look at compression and check the distributor as it is a common failure.

HOOPERS57
  • 1991 HONDA ACCORD
My car cranks, but will not start. It started to have problems that increased such as this; I will be driving and then with no warning, vehicle just shuts off. Wait couple of minutes, on my way again. Recently it started to do it more frequently. Not the car is in my driveway and will not start. I am really confident that it is related.

This is our only family car, your help would be greatly appreciated.
BILLIE ANN
  • 1991 HONDA ACCORD
When temperature outside is high acts as if not getting fuel will not start, until next morning when temperatures down starts first try till temperatures go up again.

Last summer replaced ignition wiring harness.