1991 Honda Accord driver door jam sensor

GREENCHEVYMALIBU
  • 1991 HONDA ACCORD
For some reason it won't work. I changed the sensor with another one and it work for a short while. The light turned off on the dash about the door being open. Then is went on again. I switched it with the passenger side to make sure it wasn't the sensor and it worked the passanger side so I know its the electrical. I cut the old connection to it and replaced what the sensor plugged in to and it worked for a short while but again the door light is on the dash and the light on the bottom of the door won't turn off. Is there a way to check if its getting power to the switch?
Friday, August 14th, 2009 AT 8:09 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi greenchevymalibu,

Thank you for the donation.

The door switch is working correctly and is not an electrical fault. The problem is the door switch is not being turnewd off when the door is closed and the probable causes are :
1. Door switch rubber cover is missing causing excessive clearance and when door is closed, the switch is not turned off.

2. The door striker is out of adjustment and when door is closed, it is not flush, resulting in gap between door and switch. Loosen the door striker screw and push striker inwards slghtly and retighten. Up and down movement might be required to adjust for smooth closing of the door.
Friday, August 14th, 2009 AT 11:15 AM
GREENCHEVYMALIBU
The thing is that if I push the sensor with my hand it still doesn't shut off the light on the dash. It's as if it isn't there. I'll give the door adjustment a try.

Ok now its working? I haven't done anything.I didn't try the jam adjustment or anything. So I'm lost.
Friday, August 14th, 2009 AT 4:32 PM
KHLOW2008
Remove the switch and check the wire from harness for broken covers or shield. There is a possibility that the wire is exposed somewhere and it would intermittently contact with the body to ground the circuit causing the indicator light to show.
Saturday, August 15th, 2009 AT 7:44 AM
GREENCHEVYMALIBU
I took the side panel off and looked at the wire where it comes out of the loom but I didn't see any wire showing. Also I moved the wire around to see it there was maybe a break but it didn't work then not work when I did this but now again it is not working?
Saturday, August 15th, 2009 AT 8:39 AM
KHLOW2008
Sorry I am a litle confused.

Let us review the problem over again and correct me if I am wrong.
1. Dash door ajar indicator is showing for the driver door and door courtesy light is on when door is closed.
2. With door open, manually pushing the switch does not turn off the courtesy light or dash indicator.
3. Switch has been swapped with other doors and still same problem.
4. No exposed wires noticed around the door wire harness
Saturday, August 15th, 2009 AT 7:28 PM
GREENCHEVYMALIBU
You are very correct.
Saturday, August 15th, 2009 AT 7:54 PM
KHLOW2008
From the conditions stated, the only possible faults are
1. A short of the wire between the door switch to the intergrated control unit plugged into underdash fuse box.

2. Faulty Intergrated Control unit.

Unplug the Integrated control unit and test the door switch wire for shorting to ground. If no continuity is found, the integrated control unit is faulty.
Sunday, August 16th, 2009 AT 7:42 AM
GREENCHEVYMALIBU
How do I test the door switch wire for shorting to ground?
Monday, August 17th, 2009 AT 12:56 PM
KHLOW2008
To test for wire shorting to ground, unplug the door switch and intergrated control unit.

Use DVOM to connect between the door swtich wire terminal and body ground. There should be no continuity.
Monday, August 17th, 2009 AT 4:28 PM
GREENCHEVYMALIBU
If there is continuity what do I do?
Thursday, August 27th, 2009 AT 6:28 PM
KHLOW2008
If there is continuiy, you would have to check the wireharness from door switch to fuse box for shorting.
Friday, August 28th, 2009 AT 8:23 AM
GREENCHEVYMALIBU
Would it be the fuse box on the passenger side under the hood or the fuse box near the drivers feet. I'm thinking the one under the hood.
Friday, August 28th, 2009 AT 8:28 AM
KHLOW2008
The fuse box to which the integrated control unit is plugged into, driver side.
Friday, August 28th, 2009 AT 9:31 AM
GREENCHEVYMALIBU
So what do I do from here?I'm assuming there is a break in the wire since the light is always on the dash saying the driver do is open. So what do I do from here?
Wednesday, January 27th, 2010 AT 6:23 PM
KHLOW2008
The door courtesy light not turning off indicates the driver door switch wire is shorted to ground.

Flip up the driver side carpet near door sill to check for damaged wires.
Thursday, January 28th, 2010 AT 8:04 AM