'99 Accord door won't open

JOSH5749
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD
My drivers side door will not open on my 1999 Accord 4 dr. I have tried to unlock it manually and with the switch;I have tried opening from the outside; I have tried hitting it: I have tried kicking it; I have yelled at it, all to no avail. So then I literally ripped off the door panel (with the door shut there was really no other way) and cut back the plastic to inspect. All of the rods are in place and there are no obvious breakages in the mechanisms. I have tried to look for a release pin on the locking mechanism, but the window track is in the way and I cant see how to take it off with the door closed, So my question is what do I do from here? How do I remove the window track? How do I remove the locking mechanism with the door closed? And if there are no answers out there, then how do I make crawling into the car through the passenger door more comfortable and less annoying? I am however considering painting my car orange and naming it the "General Lee".
Friday, December 17th, 2010 AT 1:50 AM

First, this has to be the best post I read in a long time. As far as the problem, are you able to acces the linkage for the lock?
Tuesday, December 21st, 2010 AT 2:05 AM
JOSH5749
Yes, linkage accessible. What next?
-2
Friday, December 24th, 2010 AT 9:00 AM
Sorry for the delay. Christmas, kids, family. It's easier to go to work.

As far as the linkage, have you checked to make sure nothing is bent, disconnected, or broken? As far as the window track, you don't need to remove it. However, check to see if you can manually move the lock linkage.
-1
Sunday, December 26th, 2010 AT 6:37 AM
GEAUXTURBO
I have a 98 with the exact same problem. The door won't open from the inside or outside. I also half way ripped the inner pannel off. All the linking rods are fine. I can't figure out a way to open the door so I can fix/replace the latch mechanism. Can I take the front quarter panel off and unbolt the hinges and get it off that way, or should I just hook up my Warn x8000i to this #$%!%$#%#@#$%@#$%? Talk about frustrating.
+1
Wednesday, December 29th, 2010 AT 7:18 PM
I wouldn't recommend that (lol). Removing the front fender is an option, but check the passenger side door to make sure it is unboltable and not welded. If you have access to the latch assembly, you should be able (not easy) to manually unlatch the door.
Wednesday, December 29th, 2010 AT 10:17 PM
GEAUXTURBO
Hehehe, thanks. After further digging and leaving the winch taunting me on the Jeep, I've decided on a dremmel. I have removed the inner door pannel entirely. Only broke a couple clips which I can replace. I pulled it upward and toward the back seat. I removed a white protective piece of plastic near the vertical manual lock rod (one tiny hidden screw), removed the elctric door lock actuator (3 small screws + two larger screws for a guard thats on the back side of it + two electric connection plugs). All that is is in front of me is the latch mechanism. Pulling the handle rods and lock rods I can see that externally it appears to be fine. But she still ain't opening. So, I'm going to dremmel the backing plate off the latch and carefully remove pieces until I find the mechanism that opens the door. Good luck to anyone else having this problem. There seems to be no simple way to open the door from inside the panel.
-1
Wednesday, December 29th, 2010 AT 10:34 PM
Let me know how things work out for you. I thought for sure you would be able to access it. Tonight must be the night for dremmel tools. I got mad at my truck and used mine to get a stripped bolt out of the dash. God, I hope 2011 is a better year.
-1
Thursday, December 30th, 2010 AT 6:38 AM
ONEVOLTS
Well I have 1994 Honda Accord and today I had same exact issue door is stuck and actuator works fine I kind a remove inner cover just enough to see in and all looks good. I guess my only option is to drill a hole in latch to open the door. I have seen video at you tube where some one mentioned by using some release clip it should open with out drilling but I can not find it.
Thursday, December 30th, 2010 AT 11:05 PM
GEAUXTURBO
Well, got the door open. After removing everything listed above plus two rods in the way (the lokc rod I had to cut the white plastic carefully unitl I could pull it out), dremel (cut off wheel) just above the top rivet and just below the bottom rivet. Dremel the rivet flat. Use a screwdriver or needle nose to pull the gold backing plate off (don't booger up the screws holding the latch mechinism in place, you may need them later and you should be far enough way that it isn't a problem). When you pull the backing plate off there is a ton of white plastic. Just below where the top rivet is, start making a big hole with your dremel moving towards the bottom rivet (rasping attachment - short burred end that eats plastic quickly). I went deep enough to feel like I was hitting metal and just continued to make the hole bigger until I could see the C-clip latch (gold in color). Then, took a screwdriver and flipped it up. Door opened. Took about 15 minutes to get the rods off, 30 minutes to carefully cut off the backing plate and about 10 minutes to make a big enough hole to flip the gold colored latch up. Now, I'm off to Honda to get the new latch.

Good luck, hope this helped you.
Friday, December 31st, 2010 AT 4:50 PM