1991 Honda Accord brake lights stay on

PHYLLIS WAKELAND
  • 1991 HONDA ACCORD
My son's car would not start. He thought he had a dead battery. He changed the battery and now the brake lights stay on. He has to disconnect the battery everytime he turns the car off. Thank you
Tuesday, August 4th, 2009 AT 10:25 PM

IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you is your model the Accord DX, EX, LX, or SE? Also what is the engine size in liter?
Tuesday, August 4th, 2009 AT 11:22 PM
PHYLLIS WAKELAND
It is an SE and 2.21 liter engine. Thank you
Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 7:31 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Thanks for the info.............

I am really impressed with the miles on this vehicle.............

I believe it is your brake light switch is not releasing. I have attached a pic for you to show the location. Reach up under by the brake pedal and you can see it resting against the switch. Pull the brake pedal away and pull the plunger out more.....do the lights go out?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Accord_Brake_2.jpg

Auto Zone appears to have one for about $20.00. I would still check the dealer and if it isn't too much more there.........get it there. That way you ensure a perfect fit for that model.

Let me know if this works........
Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 10:41 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Also, it looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_1991_Accord_Recalls_1.jpg

Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 11:15 PM