1990 Honda Accord Replacing AC Compressor

PTERRELL
  • 1990 HONDA ACCORD
Took it into the shop about a rattle. Its the AC Compressor and they want $1400 to fix it. Is it possible to do it on my own? If so what do I need and how do I do it?
Saturday, March 8th, 2008 AT 3:16 AM

PEAR69
You need a recovery tank for the refrigerant--a set of good air conditioning pressure gauges for high and low pressure--wrenches and stuff like that. If replacing the compressor you should also replace the accumulator and (if equipped) the orface tube. You also need to measure the amount of refrigerant that is evacuated in order to put the proper amount in. It's not like just adding a can or two of refrigerant. The system must be flushed so the new compressor does not get clogged up. The reason your compressor failed is probably because there was too much wax build up inside of the system. This happens when the system is not serviced properly.
Yes you can do this yourself, however you need expensive equipment to do it right. You also need to know what you are doing. A/C systems in cars operate at very high pressures and can be dangerous. I suggest purchaseing an air conditioning srevice manual for your car before you attempt this.
Saturday, March 8th, 2008 AT 5:05 AM
PTERRELL
Ok thanks. Looks like I've got some books to read. I assume that I can rent this equipment at Autozone or somthing though right?
Saturday, March 8th, 2008 AT 9:38 AM
PEAR69
Autozone has the pressure gauges, but I think you must buy them. As for the recovery tank--I dought it.
Saturday, March 8th, 2008 AT 11:56 AM
PTERRELL
Hmm ok well i'll do some looking arround and see if I can get away with buying as little as I can
Saturday, March 8th, 2008 AT 12:02 PM
PEAR69
I want to remind you that A/C systems run on high pressures and discharging and recharging them is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.
Saturday, March 8th, 2008 AT 12:25 PM
PTERRELL
Ok well i'll deffinately be careful. Thanks for the heads up.
Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 12:53 PM