STALLING AT RED LIGHTS.

1988 Honda Accord

harrierdh

December, 7, 2009 AT 9:33 AM

1988 Honda Accord 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 205000 miles

My 1988 Honda with 205,000 miles has been a good running car. It is stalling at red lights. The tachometer goes way down to 200-300 rpm. This happens even when the engine is warm. It starts fine and the rpm goes up then falls back to about 1000 like it should.

I've kept the car in excellent shape and replaced nearly all the engine parts. That includes alterenator, distributor, wires, belts, brakes, clutch and seals.

I took it to a mechanic twice and I've been told there is nothing wrong with the car.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Jacobandnickolas

December, 7, 2009 AT 11:02 PM

It could be several things. First I would start by checking for vacuum leaks. With the engine running, you may hear a hissing sound if there is a leak. Check for broken, dryrotted hoses. If they are all good, move to the EGR valve and make sure it is working properly. It could be carboned up and not working.

Finally, has the check engine light ever come on?

harrierdh

December, 8, 2009 AT 8:43 AM

I believe you are right. I think there is a problem with the vacuum system.

Jacobandnickolas

December, 16, 2009 AT 8:33 PM

I would start by checking intake vacuum pressure. Let me know what you find. And, thanks for using 2carpros. Com