1988 Honda Accord Replacing compressor

FERGUS
  • 1988 HONDA ACCORD
My air conditioning no longer cools the air. According to the Car Care mechanic who examined it, the problem is that the compressor is leaking. He says that it has to be replaced, at a cost of over $500 (plus about $500 in labor), because working on it requires special tools that almost nobody has.

The same mechanics last August replaced valves and o-rings and did a retrofit from R12 to R134 when the air conditioning was no longer working.

More disturbing, the mechanic says that even if I have the compressor replaced, there are no guarantees, and if I do not use it regularly, it may start leaking again because the coolant is very corrosive. In fact, I do not drive very much - often my car will sit in the garage for a week or more between uses.

Comments on what the mechanic told me, and whether it would be worth it to have the compressor replaced?
Friday, May 23rd, 2008 AT 12:17 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

I would be getting a second opinion. I do not believe that there are special tools to replace the compressor, and if the system is vacuumed down correctly & the receiver dryer is replaced, corrosion will not be a factor, it is when moisture is allowed to enter the system as it causes a chemical reaction that is very corrosive then.

Saturday, May 24th, 2008 AT 8:06 AM