1988 Honda Accord battery cables

YUNQUEKABAL
  • 1988 HONDA ACCORD
Hi,
I'm trying to change the positive battery cable in my car but I've ran into a couple issues. My old battery cable used to run from the starter and from the fuse box to the positive battery post, but the new battery cable that was sold to me by autozone only runs from the starter to the positive battery post. Now they told me I should be fine, but when I follow the basic instructions, things don't add up. So I attached the positive battery cable to the starter first, then attached the connector to the post. So far no issues. Then I proceed to place the negative battery cable onto the negative post, just as usual, and then it sparks. If I decide to keep it on there the starter will attempt to turn over. Now the keys are NOT in the ignition when this happens. If I keep the negative connector on the negative post, then the post's lead melts. Now I know that the car is not supposed to turn over when the keys aren't in the ignition. What in the world am I doing wrong?
Saturday, January 24th, 2009 AT 3:11 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi yunquekabal,

Thank you for the donation.

The problem should be at the starter.

Check if the cable terminal connector and solenoid wires are properly seated and not touching each other. If both are ok, the problem is caused by the terminal which has turned from its original position and when this happens, the solenoid is now shorted direclty to power source and when the battery is connected, it would work the starter.
Saturday, January 24th, 2009 AT 5:17 AM
YUNQUEKABAL
Thank you so much for the quick response. It turns out that the battery terminal was touching the starter cable and was causing the spark and the turning over. I now separated them and it's not sparking or turning over anymore but the car will now not start. I tried to get a jump from a friend but that didn't work either. The car won't even react when I put the key in the ignition and turn it to the position before ignition. I guess there's a short somewhere. What should I do?
Saturday, January 24th, 2009 AT 5:43 PM
KHLOW2008
You mentioned a wire to the fuse box that did not come with the new cable, did you install that wire? If that is missing, the fuse box is not getting any power supply and you would not be able to start the engine.
Saturday, January 24th, 2009 AT 10:36 PM
YUNQUEKABAL
You were right, I went ahead and crimped the old cable that was connected to the fuse box to the little yellow end on the new battery cable and then placed the negative battery cable back on and I saw a small spark. I then place the key in the ignition and voila, the car started. You're the best, thanks for the help.
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 10:09 PM
KHLOW2008
You are welcomed and glad we were of service.

Drop by anytime you got anything to ask.
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 6:29 AM