1987 HONDA ACCORD ENGINE SHUT DOWN

• Ja62229
  • 1987 HONDA ACCORD

1987 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 220000 miles

My engine unexpectedly shut off instantly while driving with no warning whatsoever. The starter turns the motor but nothing happens. No misfire (ever), no hard starts, and nothing unreliable in the past. I checked the coil, distributor cap & rotor, fuses, plugs & wires. It didn't behave like an alternator issue, and the battery was fine. Belts all turn when cranked, so I don't think it's a timing belt. Your ideas would be appreciated.

Wednesday, December 9th, 2009 AT 6:50 PM

• Honda Tech 1818
  • 549 POSTS

It could be the fuel pump or the carburetor.

Wednesday, December 9th, 2009 AT 8:07 PM
  • Ja62229

Because of the way it instantly "snapped" off with no hesitation preceding the incident, it didn't occur to me that it might relate to fuel delivery. Also, it's fuel injected, not carbureted. I suppose the fuel pump might be a suspect though. Actually, when I checked spark I only get a very weak spark from two or three wires (the coil and 1 or 2 cylinders). It arcs once at the first crank and then nothing. Is it possible that this might relate to the distributer? My manual is excessively vague when it comes to distributer information, and i'm not totally sure if it's hitachi or toyo denso (though I think because it's fuel injected that it is the toyo)? Thanks again to anyone helping me troubleshoot this.

Thursday, December 10th, 2009 AT 3:29 PM