Engine sputtering and hesitates

RODRIGOVZQZ
  • 1998 FORD ESCORT
Car sputtering and hesitant so I changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, oil and filter along with air filter. Cleaned the MAF sensor, throttle body. After that it works a little better but still doing it. It idles perfectly steady and accelerates normal if you step on the pedal easy but if you demand any power or just try go above 4krpms starts to sputter and then jumps to 5krpms without a problem. Any input much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Thursday, March 4th, 2021 AT 10:57 AM

DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

I would first check the fuel pressure. You may have a weak or faulty fuel pump that is not supplying adequate fuel pressure. Here is a tutorial showing how to test fuel pressure:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

If you don't have access to a tester most local auto parts stores have a tool loaner program and can rent you one. The fuel pressure specification for your car is to be 25-35 PSI with the engine running. Get back to us with the reading after testing and we'll go from there. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
Thursday, March 4th, 2021 AT 1:47 PM

Sponsored links