Heater hoses

TMCINTOSH11
  • 2002 FORD F-150
Hi, I got a new problem trying to fix another. So I was trying to replace the PCV valve and I accidentally (barely) bumped into the smaller coolant hose that goes into the right (passenger side) of the firewall, and the metallic part of the hose looks like it was corroded and snapped. It's an extremely hard to reach area and the other end of the hose is even worse. So since it apparently looks like it has a special quick disconnect on the end that goes into the firewall. What would be the easiest way to go about replacing this? Do I need a special tool or can it disconnect without it? And also since the other end is in a nightmarish spot could I just cut the hose so far down and use a coupling to connect a new hose to the old one? I'm pretty much stuck until then. Thanks!
Thursday, October 10th, 2019 AT 7:23 PM

SCGRANTURISMO

If you can get a hose on anything of the metallic part that's still there, do it. The metallic part is the outlet tube from your vehicle's heater core. I would still recommend replacing the heater core if the tubes are badly corroded to keep from a coolant leak and possibly doing engine damage from overheating. If you would like to replace your heater core we have step by step instructions on how to do this. Make sure you have a whole day set aside to do this though, because you will literally have to remove your entire dash to get to it. Please let us know what you would like to do.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
Friday, October 11th, 2019 AT 12:37 AM
TMCINTOSH11
Hey Alex, yeah I cut some of the old hose and I bought a coupler to fit the new hose on. Right now I got it bypassing the heater core (I know not a good idea) until I get the tool I'll need. The front end of my truck sits so high up I can't even reach the firewall at all without a step stool. I get what you mean with the corrosion. I don't think I'll ever be up to replacing a heater core with everything you got to go through just to access it. Once the new part's on and the heater core starts leaking then I'll just bypass it again and use my other vehicle in the winter. But to get the old part off and the new one on. How exactly do I use the tool for the quick connect? Thanks for your help!
Friday, October 11th, 2019 AT 5:02 PM
SCGRANTURISMO
Hello again,

I know replacing the heater core is a bear of a job. I don't know why they don't make an access door in the firewall and a way to remove it from the HVAC box from there. Keep us posted as to how everything turns out.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
Friday, October 11th, 2019 AT 5:51 PM
TMCINTOSH11
I definitely will, thanks for replying back, so I got a friend at work that has a little experience with these quick connect hoses and he managed to get the old ones off. He said the new ones will just go straight on as is and clip on to the metal part of the line. The thing is though when I bought a new one it had a blue clip in the plastic end, when my friend took both the old ones off they didn't have the clips in them. So I'm guessing the old ones stayed on, if that's the case then do I take the clip off the new ones or see if the old ones are still on and take those off? Thanks
Wednesday, October 16th, 2019 AT 5:10 PM
SCGRANTURISMO
Hello again,

In the diagrams down below I have included the directions for the removal and installation of your vehicle's heater hoses from the vehicle manufacturer. Please go through this guide and let us know how it turns out. I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
+1
Wednesday, October 16th, 2019 AT 5:45 PM
TMCINTOSH11
Hey Alex, I got somewhat of an update for you. I got some pictures to help explain my problem some. I got one replacement part mainly because everybody is out of stock at the moment, but me and my friend from work tried to see if it would snap onto the old clips on the firewall but it wouldn't fit, turns out the clips have a little tab on the sides along with the two teeth that holds the hose on that the new part wasn't made for. So in the pictures I compared the old plastic part of the hose that broke off to the new one I bought. The old one is more circular than the new one, the new one is Carquest brand, I highlighted in red the little tabs that won't allow the new part to go on and in yellow are the teeth that clips the plastic onto the line. The other pictures are of the new part and the lines coming from the firewall, also I removed the old O-rings from the lines because the new part had one in it, I still have them if I need them. So from here do I have to have Motorcraft only or is there a way the old clips come off? My friend said there was something holding the old clips on and even he had a very hard time messing with it. What do you think Alex? Thanks!
Thursday, October 17th, 2019 AT 8:19 PM
SCGRANTURISMO
Hello again,

Yes, there are specialized tools that you can purchase at any auto parts store that are specifically designed to this. In the diagrams down below I have included the OEM tool number for you to cross reference it by.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
Friday, October 18th, 2019 AT 11:05 PM
TMCINTOSH11
Hey Alex,
I wanted to let you know that I finally got it all fixed, I had to climb up on top of the motor just to get to the firewall and I still barely reached it, but I managed to get the old clips off and I simply pushed the new hoses on until they clicked, after that I got another hose coupler and coupled the new hoses into the old ones and it all worked beautifully. Now leaks and great heat, thanks for all your help!
Friday, October 25th, 2019 AT 5:46 PM
KEN
SCGRANTURISMO is one of our best! Use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Please tell a friend.
Monday, October 28th, 2019 AT 6:08 PM
LINDA5
  • 2001 FORD F-150
I am changing my heater hose. Do I need a special tool for it as it has a special connector? Do you have instructions?
Monday, October 28th, 2019 AT 6:10 PM (Merged)
JACK42
If it i9s the connector I am think it is, you need a release tool. You should be able to find an inexpensive one at your local parts store, they may even have one you can rent. It slips over the connector, depressing the lock tabs so you can remove the hose, but be careful not to damage the heater core when pulling the hoses off.
KELLEYCOACH
  • 2001 FORD F-150
I belive that I have a pinprick heater hose leak because my coolant slowly leaks out but only after driving and not when it is parked. Where are the heater hose located and what is the best way to comfirm this problem
FLEXY5
The heater hoses are on the passenger side. They enter the firewall just up underneath the windsheild cowl. How much coolant are you loosing?
MATT1985
  • 1999 FORD F-150
Need to know what tool works to remove heater hose quick connect I know they make a plastic ring that inserts and u use a bar to pull it and also a plastic ring that clamps on the outside of the quick connect
Monday, October 28th, 2019 AT 6:11 PM (Merged)
Al5i had several tabs pulled up looking for parts

I clicked the wrong one.

Try this one!

Http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/heater-hose-removal-tool/cal-van-coolant-hose-removal-tool-set/383214_0_0/

Better?

The medic14

Sponsored links