Hazard lights/turn signal not working

TMCINTOSH11
  • 2002 FORD F-150
Hi guys, just this morning I noticed my turn signal did not work at all, the arrows on the dash do not light up either. I tried the hazard lights and they do nothing too. I tried looking up the fuse location and I got mixed results, one thread on a F150 forum even said that the multi function switch connection can come loose in the steering column if you adjust the steering wheel frequently, which I do.
Can you guys tell me which fuse I am looking at? And if it turns out to be good what my next step would be? Thanks!
Monday, April 16th, 2018 AT 8:54 AM

HEYMAN1104
Sounds like you have a bad flasher relay. You should be able to get one for $10.00 or $15.00 from the parts shop. I am attaching an image with the location of it, but it is not particularly clear. Sorry.
Monday, April 16th, 2018 AT 10:54 AM
TMCINTOSH11
So I am basically looking at disassembling the lower part of the dash under the steering wheel? I hope it is not hard. Thanks for the information!
Monday, April 16th, 2018 AT 12:33 PM
HEYMAN1104
Unfortunately Ford has not released a how-to guide on the flasher. I did find a YouTube video for you, but do not have the time to watch it right now, so I cannot verify its accuracy. Buyer beware. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Og5Wq0n_I
Monday, April 16th, 2018 AT 2:35 PM
TMCINTOSH11
Thank you Heyman, sorry for the late response. This has actually become a developing problem. I replaced the flasher relay first to no avail, then I checked the fuses and it was the 20 amp fuse in the middle row on top in the fuse box under the steering wheel. So I replaced it and it worked fine, but then this morning I turned the headlights on and used the turn signal and it blew the fuse again. So I replaced it again and this time I tested it with the headlights on and the turn signal acts funny with them on and acts fine with them off. So is there a electrical problem somewhere? Thanks!
Thursday, May 3rd, 2018 AT 9:24 PM
HEYMAN1104
Yeah there is a problem somewhere. I would suspect that it is near the connector in the column because there is the known issue with it coming loose, as you mentioned earlier. It is possible that one of the wires has also rubbed bare and is contacting with the ground, creating a short circuit and blowing the fuse. I am attaching instructions on replacing the switch, which can be used to help you get to the connector.

And here is our general guide on replacing turn signal switches: https://www.2carpros.com/articles/turn-signal-switch-replacement

And here is a YouTube video on replacing the switch in a Ranger, which is supposed to be basically the same job as on a F150: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_StgRf6f2M8

Keep us posted.
Friday, May 4th, 2018 AT 4:06 AM
TMCINTOSH11
I found the problem! I followed the wiring from the trailer connectors sockets and found them severely frayed and shredded, I fixed the wires and put in a new fuse and so far so good. They were mounted next to the rear strut and over time it scrapped the wires bare. So I fixed the wires and moved them away from the strut, so now I am going to keep my fingers crossed!
Friday, May 4th, 2018 AT 5:57 PM
HEYMAN1104
Nice work!
Friday, May 4th, 2018 AT 7:45 PM
TMCINTOSH11
Thank you, and thank you for your help!
Friday, May 4th, 2018 AT 8:18 PM