BRAKE PROBLEMS

1998 GMC Yukon

WyldRyd

August, 9, 2010 AT 4:23 PM

Brakes problem
1998 GMC Yukon V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I have been having problems with my brakes and it started with the ABS kicking in when going slow and I saw a recall and a bunch of other people having the same problems with 98's that were not included in the recall.

That being said my petal sense then has gotten softer and softer and then to the point of no brakes untill the last 4 inches of travel. Now I had a rear brake line that had rusted out and has been sense replaced. Problem is still present. I also have noticed a air hissing noise if you press on the brake petal and have the hood open. Would that be my booster or my master cylinder?

I am on a tight budget and have also read about people who had the braking problem I have had but with out the hissing noise and some replaced the master cylinder and booster and neither fixed the problem.

In short I don't want to start fixing things that don't need to be replaced as I don't have the spare money.

What are your thoughts and ideas? Thanks in advance.

Wyldryd

August, 9, 2010 AT 4:26 PM

Applying the brakes and hearing a hissing sound the brake booster leaking

WyldRyd

August, 10, 2010 AT 11:50 AM

Ok Thank you very much for your time and answer.

One other question that I have is that after I replace the booster I have heard that some master cylinders require bench bleeding.

Will I need to bench bleed my master cylinder after I install my new booster?

Thank you again for your time and hopefully your answer.

WyldRyd

August, 10, 2010 AT 12:36 PM

You don't need to bleed the master cylinder, however you might have to adjust the booster push rod from the inside

WyldRyd

August, 10, 2010 AT 1:03 PM

Thank you for your time and answers.

It is greatly apreciated!

WyldRyd

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer