FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR

1997 GMC Truck

aemde

July, 4, 2009 AT 8:42 AM

1997 GMC Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

Yesterday I changed the fuel pressure regulator under the plenum in order to solve a fuel pump issue of it running constantly

When I started the truck, it ran rough for two seconds and then quit.

When I attempted a re-start, the engine would not trun over, as if it is locked up.

After waiting a few minutes, it turned over for one second then made a bang, and locked up again.

This am I tried to start it and it turned over for 1/2 second then locked up. Now it just makes a very load clunk when the starter is engaged.

July, 4, 2009 AT 9:00 AM

Hello, make sure the battery has a full charge and the cables are ok. If you think there might be an internal engine issue, Try to turn the crank by hand. It might be overkill, but, if you disable the ignition, pull the plugs and accessory belt/s, the crank might be easier to turn.

If the pump runs all the time, with key off, check the oil pressure switch.

aemde

July, 4, 2009 AT 10:44 AM

I removed all plugs, and gas ran out of #'s 5 & 7 cyls. More from 7.

So I had a hydralic lock.

Obivously the new fuel pressure or fuel pump regulator that I changed is defective, or I installed something incorrectly.

Any ideas as to why fuel is running into #7 cyl constantly?

Someting I did, or a wrong part?

July, 4, 2009 AT 12:29 PM

Maybe there is an injector problem, on those cylinders. After you fix the problem, you probably need to change your oil and filter, maybe more than once. Plugs also.

aemde

July, 5, 2009 AT 10:46 AM

Just a note to say thanks for your help.

When I pulled the plenum I found the regulator laying on the intake. Seems I did not installl the retaining clip properly, and when the system built pressure, it simply blew it out.

Truck runs fine, and the fuel pump is not running constantly, so the regulator solved the orginal problem.

There was an issue with the engine compartment on fire. But I will save that for another time.

Andrew

July, 5, 2009 AT 11:51 AM

Well, sorry about the fire. Sounds like you found the problem?

aemde

July, 5, 2009 AT 4:16 PM

Yep, all fixed, Thanks.

Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang