2001 GMC Sierra intermittent starting problem

CAMSJ1095
  • 2001 GMC SIERRA
I've had the truck for about two years now since 155k miles. It's been great except for having the transmission rebuilt, front bearing issue and new tires. I do continue to have a problem I need resolved. The truck does not start at times. It's not the battery charge or alternator as these have been tested. When it happens, it's just like you are trying to start the engine while in drive. All dash lights and chimes work but nothing happens when turning the key. I have taken it several times to a reputable Goodyear mechanic who could not duplicate the issue. I have been told by them and friends that it could be the built-in security system or possibly still the starter. Have you heard of this issue and what should I do? Thank you.
Monday, March 8th, 2010 AT 1:20 PM

It could be those things. First, if it is the security system, the light will stay on and flash. Next, if the starter is bad, you can check it. Have a helper turn the key to the start position while you check for power to the smaller wire on the starter. You should have 12+ volts. If you do, replace the starter. If not, then check the relay.

Let me know what you find.
Tuesday, March 16th, 2010 AT 8:07 AM