NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH

1997 GMC Sierra

Phillip R. Maxwell

October, 11, 2009 AT 6:26 PM

1997 GMC Sierra V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 140, 00 miles

We have just installed a new transmission and shifter cable. The truck will not go into Park, unless I move the trans shifter lever one knotch forward, the it will
show on the column it is now in park, and will start. But I can't shift the transmission out of park. And when I put the trans in another gear it wont move
or it wont go in reverse.
Could the neutral safety switch be the problem. The
mechanic just replaced my broke switch with one he had laying around. Or am I just not adjusting the switch to the right position.

October, 12, 2009 AT 11:08 AM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_shift_interlock_1.jpg

In case you don't have wiring info.

Phillip R. Maxwell

October, 13, 2009 AT 4:57 PM

Installed new transmission and neutral safety switch. Checked wiring diaghram supplied by you. Everything TO INCLUDE, transmission, transfer, neutral safety switch plugged into the right socket. Truck will start in neutral and go thru the shifts reverse, neutral
drive 1, 2, 3, with lighted indicator. But the truck will not go into Park, with any light or will not start in Park. In the correct gear the truck appears to register but will not move, as if the brake is holding the truck. What can I do to adjust the neutral safety switch, or anything else that might be overlooked and get the truck to start in park and be able to DRIVE. WORRIED MYSELF SICK. PLEASE HELP

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage