2003 GMC SAFARI REAR DIFFERENTIAL

• Icystraitlodge
  • 2003 GMC SAFARI

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2003 GMC Safari 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 108000 miles

I have a 2003 Safari (VIN# 1gkel19x13b510423) and I need to replace the rear differential. I do not have access to the differential ration.

A friend of mine has access to a Suburban axel which he says has a 4:73 ratio and 6 bolt wheel lug and he thinks it may fit. If the bolt patterns were able to line up do you believe it would be compatible?

I also have access to a 1998 Astro and am wondering if that differential would fit.

Thanks for your help.

Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 6:08 PM

• Mastertechtim

The gear ratio is located on the rear gear itself. Your probably looking at a 3.73 gear ratio, gm does not offer a 4.73. Just remove the rear end cover and turn the ring gear(the larger diameter one) and you will see the numbers stamped on it like 10:41 or 11:41 this is the gear ratio. Divide the first number into the second one and thats the ratio. 10:41 is a 4.10 gear ratio. This is the most accurate way of checking. Other than that I think it will work.

Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 6:16 PM
  • Icystraitlodge

When you say: ".I think it will work.&Quot; Does that include with the knowledge that it has All-wheel Drive? I just do not want to find out that it dstroys the front differential. Thanks.

Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 6:45 PM
  • Mastertechtim

The gear ratio must match for sure. The rear end from the astro van is the one to use if you are going to replace the whole unit, I dont think the suburban one will fit but if its the same gear ration and same bolt pattern then you can use the gears from the suburban.

Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 6:54 PM