2000 GMC SAFARI

• cbintegra
  • 2000 GMC Safari

2000 GMC Safari 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

My van wont start whenever the air is damp. I have replaced the spark plugs and wires, rotor, dist. Cap and the mass air flow sensor. Do you have ideas on what else I can check. No codes show sense it hasnt started when it is having the problem. On dry days it starts right up and runs good.

Wednesday, March 17th, 2010 AT 5:45 PM

• Docfixit

Hi
Try this on dry day engine starting get a spray bottle with water. Spray then Ignition Control Module they try and start if starts do same to crankshaft sensor.
See diagrams

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_405.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Grafic_3_107.jpg

Let me know
Thanks for donate

Thursday, March 18th, 2010 AT 12:30 PM
  • cbintegra

Thanks alot, man! You probably saved me hundreds that a mechanic would have charged. I sprayed water on the crankshaft sensor on a dry day like you advised and it didn't start. Put a new one on and sprayed it and it started right up. The real test will be in a few hours when it rains, but I'm pretty sure that fixed it. You know what you're doing! Thanks again.

Sunday, March 21st, 2010 AT 12:27 PM
  • Docfixit

Glad to have helped Yea could have turned into a Money Pit. Come back if you need help in the future

Monday, March 22nd, 2010 AT 8:05 AM
  • cbintegra

I was wrong. It is raining today and the van would not start again. The only thing I havent replaced is the ignition control module. Any other ideas?

Monday, March 22nd, 2010 AT 3:01 PM
  • Docfixit

Check out vehicle control module left side engine compartment. See if rain water getting on VCM. Pull connectors see if its wet.

Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 3:26 PM
  • cbintegra

I checked out everything I could see without taking it apart. Nothing seemed wet.I give up. Taking it to a mechanic tomorrow. Thanks anyway

Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 5:32 PM