The nuetral safety switch is located under the shift handle inside the center console this the problem could be the switch but it might be something else as well without seeing the vehicle and based solely on what you told me I would say to try putting a switch in and just see what happens as here is the service procedure
1. To avoid personal injury when servicing models equipped with Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (Airbag) System, temporarily disarm system. Refer to BODY ELECTRICAL SAFETY AND ENTERTAINMENT/PASSIVE RESTRAINTS, AIR BAG/MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES/AIRBAG SYSTEM DISARMING.
2. On all models, remove floor console cover, then disconnect electrical connectors from switch.
3. Place shift lever in Neutral position of detent plate, then remove switch attaching nuts and switch, Fig. 15.
4. To install, ensure the shift lever is in Neutral, then position switch on shift lever making sure pin on shaft is in slot of switch.
5. If reinstalling existing switch, rotate switch to align service adjustment hole with carrier tang hole. Insert a.094 inch gauge pin and rotate switch until pin drops in to a depth of.59 inch. Torque switch attaching nut to 26 inch lbs, then remove gauge pin.
6. If installing a new switch, torque attaching nuts to 26 inch lbs, then move shift lever out of Neutral to shear pin which is part of new switch.
7. Reconnect electrical connectors to switch, then apply parking brake and start engine. Check back-up lights and seat belt warning system for proper operation and ensure engine will start only in Park or Neutral.
8. Turn ignition off and install floor console.
9. After completing service procedure activate Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (Airbag) System, if equipped. Refer to BODY ELECTRICAL SAFETY AND ENTERTAINMENT/PASSIVE RESTRAINTS, AIR BAG/MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES/AIRBAG SYSTEM DISARMING.
Saturday, May 27th, 2006 AT 9:17 PM