CRANKS BUT WONT START

GMC

sheets26

May, 4, 2006 AT 2:08 PM

I have a 1986 chevelote celebrity and one day I was having problems with it and it was cutting in and out. But when it cut out if u left it for awhile it turn on. But went and put gas in it and went across the street and shut it of the it wouldnt start back up what could be the problem? It crankc but dosent start and if it does start only for a second and cuts off please help

losone

May, 4, 2006 AT 3:02 PM

For us to be able to assist you, it is absolutely necessary for you to include the make, model, year and mileage of your car.

However you must first check the basics for spark and fuel. Let me know

sheets26

May, 4, 2006 AT 3:22 PM

1986 chevelote celebrity 100+ miles well the car set for 3 years and my sister in-law gave it to me we got it runnung but then it did that. Its getting the fuel so how would I check for spark?

losone

May, 4, 2006 AT 5:01 PM

Pull a wire off the plug, use an INSULATED screw driver, put it in the plug wire hole and hold the driver close to metal, it should arc about 1/2" Better yet get a mechanic to do it Good Luck

sheets26

May, 5, 2006 AT 11:44 PM

It not that any other suggestions?

losone

May, 6, 2006 AT 1:12 PM

Go back to basics. In order for an engine to run you must have fuel, spark, and combuston in time.

No spark maybe the ignition module in the disttributer
No fuel maybe the fuel pump.

If you have both you, must have combustion in time with the firing cycle. (Timing gear and chain?)

Let me know what you have checked.

sheets26

May, 6, 2006 AT 2:35 PM

It not the timing chain there fuel but how would I check the iginition modual. Is it expensive.

losone

May, 6, 2006 AT 3:22 PM

Get a good one from a parts store not the " zone.&Quot; about $25.00 or less. It is inside the distributer cap on the bottom edge of the distributer. Not a hard job once you have the module in your hand and can see how it looks.

Chris Wilczynski

May, 6, 2006 AT 5:36 PM

An 86 has a dis sytem?

losone

May, 6, 2006 AT 6:18 PM

No it has electronic ignition with a module in the distributer since the late 70's

sheets26

May, 8, 2006 AT 9:32 PM

Have changed the spark plugs, wires, iginiton modual. Dis. Cap still wont staart any suggestions?

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right