Stuck in park

KENDABU
  • 2003 GMC ENVOY

Electrical problem 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 170, 00 miles

Recently I had my car towed to dealer because my car wouldn't start I replaced the fuel pump, after car was towed back to me dealer says they had a hard time getting my car to shift from park. They looked into it and it came out of park. Lately it is random my car will get stuck in park and sometimes it will work. I took it to mechanic and they said it could be neutral switch and they replaced it the gear shift is working but I'm concerned was this the right thing to do?

Saturday, June 19th, 2010 AT 9:26 AM

2CARPROS KEN

What happen is the interlock solenoid becomes weak and doesn't lift the lock from the gear selector. This can be checked with a test light and if the unit is getting power but not working it needs to be replaced.

Here is a guide that will help us get the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

I have seen where the sifter cable becomes difficult to move causing a problem as well.

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken

Monday, September 11th, 2017 AT 5:26 PM
MAMICHULA
  • 2003 GMC ENVOY

The shifter button will not push in to allow you to shift out of park

Monday, September 11th, 2017 AT 5:26 PM (Merged)

Check the brake lights if its functioning properly if okay -check the shift interlock control solenoid

COYLELISTIE
  • 2004 GMC ENVOY

Today when I went to start my car, it hesitated. Now, it won't start at all. My gauges go crazy when i'm trying to start it, It also won't go out of park. Sometimes, it tries to start, other times it does nothing at all.

ASEMASTER6371

Start with having the battery checked. It sounds like low voltage

COYLELISTIE

The battery was checked and is fine. My husband was thinking it might be the ignition switch.

LOUIEMCGOON
  • 2004 GMC ENVOY

Has a problem with the Automatic Tranmission Gear that's stuck on Park. What could have cause it to get stuck? I drive a GMC 2004 Envoy XUV. I got stuck in traffic when I changed the gear to Park but when I tried to change back to drive it wouldn't go at all, not even the button on the side of the gear. Funny thing, the lights in the Control is in Neutral. Any thoughts on what maybe the problem?

Monday, September 11th, 2017 AT 5:27 PM (Merged)

Check if the brake lights are working if so-have the shift interlock control solenoid -checked-