CRANKS BUT WONT START - 2500, 6.5L DIESEL

1998 GMC C2500

Ohio28

May, 11, 2010 AT 1:04 PM

1998 GMC C2500 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

2500, 6.5L Diesel turns over, but at times wont start. Noticed the gas gauge moves a 1/4 tank past full also( to the right of full mark).

When the engine gets hot, most of the time if I shut it off, it won't start back up. Now the Dealer did some work on it and replaced the Fuel Injecting Pump. The problem still persist. What can this be? Give me your top 5.

513/10-UPDATE: Auto store scanner pulled these computer codes for turbo boost sensor and glow plugs malfunction. Hope this helps.

thanks again fellas,

Let's Go CAVS. Woo

OHIO28

dennyp

May, 14, 2010 AT 6:26 PM

How long ago was the injection pump replaced?

Ohio28

May, 15, 2010 AT 3:03 AM

Denny, thanks 4 the response. I would say I had GM replace it about a month ago. Ran me close to a grand to have them do it too!

dennyp

May, 15, 2010 AT 11:21 AM

It sounds like an injection pump failure to me.
It is also possible that the crank sensor is bad. You should monitor engine rpm on a scan tool while cranking the engine during a no start condition. You should see rpms above 150.

A quick check when it doesn't start.
Loosen a fuel injector line at an injector. Crank the engine and watch for fuel. If no fuel, disconnect the wiring connector on top of the injection pump. Crank the engine and see if it starts. If still no start, you have a bad injection pump(provided you have engine rpm on scan tool).

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang