CAR WILL NOT START

1993 Geo Prizm

jfgaray

July, 13, 2010 AT 5:34 PM

1993 Geo Prizm 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 280000 miles

Car was running at first, but died out and will not restart. In the process of restarting it drained the battery. Changed out the battery, changed old fuel filter and replaced sparkplugs. Still will not start, but do hear the engine turning, just missing the fire up part to start up.

July, 13, 2010 AT 5:39 PM

What you need to do is determine if its a fuel or spark problem that's preventing it from starting-Do below.

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

jfgaray

July, 15, 2010 AT 11:02 AM

I disconnect a sparkplug wire and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine had no snapping blue spark. So that narrows it down to the plugs, but have new ones in, along with new wires, distr. Cap and new rotor. That leaves me with the Ignition Coil, Internal Igniter and the Distributor itself. Question, wish one would go out during vehicle operation, have on last start up and run but a few minutes later die out and not start up again since?

BLUMONSTER

August, 18, 2010 AT 4:43 PM

Did you change the distributor rotor and cap after the fact that the car did not start or before?As far as I know Toyota-made distributor lasts the lifetime of the car.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right