CRANKS BUT WON'T START

1993 Geo Prizm

zuki35

February, 25, 2010 AT 4:12 PM

1993 Geo Prizm 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 146046 miles

My 1993 Geo Prizm cranks but won't start. The car was running fine until 1 day out of the blue the car just stopped running while driving down the highway. What I've done so far is replaced the spark plugs and then tested them, so I am getting spark into all cylinders. I cleaned the Mass Airflow Sensor and I pulled each injector to see if it was clogged, they were'nt. Interestingly enough while the injectors were out I got a little gas down the cylinders and the car started and ran for about 5 seconds, so I shot a little hot start into the air intake and it did the same thing. I getting get fuel pressure up to the injectors but there not letting the fuel into the cylinders. I'm at a loss of what to do next.

February, 25, 2010 AT 4:55 PM

Hi zuki35, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Lets check the fuel pressure if its within specs-should read 38-44 psi-if okay -crank engine over and listen to the injectors if they clicking if not the computer is not receiving an input signal to synchronize the injectors-could be the distributor pick-up coil, cam and crank sensors if applicable

zuki35

March, 7, 2010 AT 11:51 AM

Hi and thanks for your help on this. The gas pressure was fine, so I replaced the distributor because the pick-up coil and crank sensor are built in, and I got a good deal on a new one. The Geo Prizm started and ran with a slightly high idle for about 5 minutes and then the idle it kicked to where it sounded like it was going to die, so I gave it a little gas and it sounded like I was choking it, but then it did die and would not start back up. I welcome anymore suggestions? Thanks again Mike

March, 7, 2010 AT 1:18 PM

Okay, clean out the idle air control valve and EGR valve t hen test the throttle position sensor and manifold absolute pressure sensor

terrance22

January, 3, 2012 AT 12:31 AM

Hi I got a 93 prizm sedan 4 cyl nice car im trying to see how how can I get faster speed for this car at a cheap price or a part that aint as much thanks

terrance22

January, 3, 2012 AT 12:35 AM

How you clean a 93 prizm 4cyl sedan base egr and whats best way to keep fuel system clean

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right