1991 Geo Prizm Geo Prizim Gas Filter

ANTHONYS
  • 1991 GEO PRIZM
I am trying to locate the gas filter on my 1991 Geo Prizim and want to replace it. It is fuel injected and a 4cyl - 1.6 model. Can you tell me where it is located? I have visited different stores and my gas filter looks like a small oil filter with a vapor return line, contrary to what they are showing me. I am guessing it's under the power brake booster. Can I be looking at the wrong part? I'm confused.

Also, where is the fuel pump located?

Many Thanks
Sunday, September 14th, 2008 AT 2:26 PM

MMPRINCE4000
The filter is under the charcoal cannister, bolted to the firewall. Easiest access is to remove the front wheel (drivers side) and acces it from the steering rod hole.

The filter has a banjo bolt on top and a double inverted flare on the bottom. The lower fitting can be hard to get to, use a flare wrench.

There are no vacuum lines attached to the filter, yo may be looking at the cannister, which has two vacuum lines, one small and one large. You should remove the cannister for easier access to the filter
Monday, September 15th, 2008 AT 6:03 AM
ANTHONYS
You were exactly right. Thank you! It looks like it was never replaced so I'm soaking it in "Liquid - Wrench" for 2 days and will take it out. I know the lines can twist easy and are probably rusted.

I was looking at the charcoal cannister filter and mistook it for the filter.

Kudo's on your input!

Thank you again!
Monday, September 15th, 2008 AT 1:30 PM
MMPRINCE4000
You are more than welcome, may I suggest a product called "PB Blaster" as a much better penetrant.
It's all I use and is very effective.
Tuesday, September 16th, 2008 AT 4:38 AM
ANTHONYS
Sure, thanks for the tip. Anything that makes the job easier is welcome.

Thanks again

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/242209_1_3.jpg

As you can see, it's in prestine condition with only 78,000 miles on it. Everything is relaced, even the timing belt to the radiator!

This should go 200,000 miles for sure with Castrol oil and a detergent such as CD-2. I have been using it since a kid and reccomend it.

I changed my oil last November and added it. In April when it was drained, it looked like new oil. Good stuff and I highy reccomend it!
Tuesday, September 16th, 2008 AT 4:56 PM
ANTHONYS
I was given the right advice but reccomend that you soak the bottom line real good with the PB I was told to use. I used Liquid Wrench and it never came loose.

I took the induction (air intake) off and loosened the top line rather easily. After that, I tried loosening the bottom line. I never got it off and wound up in the shop. It's because that fitting is exposed to the ground and elements and makes it tough to get off. The firewall bolts that hold the filter in place are cumbersome to get off but wit a little patience and scraped knuckles, you'll get em' off.

Don't do what I did. Use the PB penetrant and let it soak, soak, soak.

What a dumb design, that filter should be exposed on top!

Next time it's PB for me.
Saturday, September 20th, 2008 AT 1:24 PM
MMPRINCE4000
The bottom fitting is a double inverted flare connector (like a brake line) and you do not want to strip the head.
So if you ever take a brake line off, use the PB and let it soak, also do not use any teflon tape on these connections or thread locker.
Sunday, September 21st, 2008 AT 6:59 AM