1990 GEO PRIZM CAR WONT START

• Mbtank
  • 1990 GEO PRIZM

1990 Geo Prizm 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 145698 miles

got up this morning and the car wont start I changed plus pulug wires and distribitor cap ansd rotor button car tries to turn over and I can smell gas but it wont fire the car stalled on mt the other day but started back up what could be the problem?

Sunday, March 23rd, 2008 AT 4:08 PM

• Rasmataz

Get a carb cleaner and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing.

Fuel pump and Injector/s checks out-start checking the ignition system-power to coil, coil/s itself, distributor pick-up, control module, Cam and Crankshaft sensors.

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time

Sunday, March 23rd, 2008 AT 4:21 PM
  • Mbtank

Ok battery6 is low have to charge it to check for spark will update when its charged and checked to see if im getting spark

Sunday, March 23rd, 2008 AT 5:19 PM
  • Mbtank

Ok battery charged but not getting any spark.I have changed the plugs and plug wires as well as the distributor cap what would cause the no spark condition?

Sunday, March 23rd, 2008 AT 6:48 PM
  • Rasmataz

Check for power to coil, coil resistances, distributor pick-up coil resistances, air gap, ignitor, and ignition signal from the computer.

Sunday, March 23rd, 2008 AT 8:33 PM
  • Mbtank

Will do thank you and I wil let you know what I find out

Monday, March 24th, 2008 AT 12:40 AM
  • Mbtank

I have decided with the age of the car and the cost of getting the parts and the time it will take to repair the car its not worth it I am either gonna selll it or have it haueld to the junkyard if there are any offers for the car they will be considered

Tuesday, March 25th, 2008 AT 9:43 PM