Rumbling noise & vibration first started about 2 months ago. Very noticeable when it starts and eventually quits by itself after a minute or two. Noise comes from the front but can't discern a side. Also been very intermittent (so far) and only at highway speeds (>60 mph). Happened again yesterday after nothing for over month. CV joint boots (inner & outer, both sides) are intact and in good shape.
From Haynes manual and at 100K miles, a deteriorating CV joint(s) make the most sense.
1) Which ones are prone to go bad on a Geo?
2) Best strategy approach? Replace all, outer ones only, etc.
3)Inner and/or Outer & how to determine?
3) Best place to find parts and which ones should I buy- local or web for a Geo?
4) Can I tackle this in my garage with the car on jack stands or be better off at a mechanic shop? I have impact tools.
5) Anything else you can tell me that I don't know enough to ask about this potential repair?
6) Other potential causes besides CV joints (brakes in good repair, front struts look OK)?
Thanks for the help.
have the same problem?
Wednesday, January 28th, 2009 AT 4:53 PM