Gas gauge going down fast after filling

RYANG37
  • 2011 TOYOTA CAMRY

After I put in gas and filled it to half a tank, the gas gauge went down to empty in just over an hour of continuous driving. I filled it to half a tank again and drove for 30 min. And it went down almost to a quarter of a tank and it usually barely moved after 30 min. Is the gauge off? I see no gas leaks.

I had filled it up to a half a tank again according to the gas gauge and right after five min of driving the gas gauge already started going down and it never does that fast. I looked under the car and under the hood and I do not see or smell any gas. And no, kids cant steal my gas because I have a lock on the gas fill door.

Oh and no I have not done any modifications and yes the check engine light is on but that has been on because I am overdue for an oil change.

Thank you for your help! Oh and yes with new Toyota a check engine light will come on when all you need is an oil change its crazy.

Sunday, May 26th, 2013 AT 6:51 PM

KEN

Hey Ryan,

It sounds like you have a fuel level sender that is going bad. This bad connection can cause the fuel gauge to do all kinds of weird stuff. You can get to the float and fuel pump by removing the back seat.

Here is a fuel gauge wiring diagram so you can see how the system works. (below) I would also try unplugging the cluster and plugging it in again this will help clean the connections at the cluster.

The problem of gas consumption could be attributed to a mass air flow sensor that has gone out of range and needs replacing. This kind of problem with not turn the check engine light on. Here is a guide on how to replace it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-mass-air-flow-sensor-maf

If it is a gas gauge problem, in others words and gauge goes down but when you fill it up it does take very much then the problems is most likely the sender in the tank has gone out and needs replacement.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

+2
Wednesday, February 15th, 2017 AT 3:34 PM
DROOPYFAN5
  • 1991 TOYOTA CAMRY

1991 Toyota Camry Fuel Guage shows Full all the time, what could be the problem, sometimes it will work briefly then go back to full

+1
Wednesday, February 15th, 2017 AT 3:35 PM (Merged)

Check and test the fuel sending unit in the fuel tank

MARGRAY
  • 2012 TOYOTA CAMRY

No matter where I fill up, my guage only reads 3/4 full. My projected mileage is 400+ miles as opposed to 550+. I can hear the gas at the top of the tank if I try and squeeze a bit more in.

It may be the sender is going bad or float problem have a pro check to see if voltage going to it is correct

+1
ALFREDM8702
  • 2011 TOYOTA CAMRY

Gas gauge does not read properly always on full what could be the problem?

Friday, November 3rd, 2017 AT 1:24 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371

Sounds like the sender unit has failed. It is in the tank and part of the fuel pump assembly

JOEBEECO

If your car is not starting properly what is the cause

+1
PWB42
  • 1999 TOYOTA CAMRY

1999 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 56000 miles

All gauges as well as he Tach and Speedometer
have quit working except for the fuel gauge.
The only "test" light that comes on when the key is turned on is the airbag indicator.
Also the transmission hangs and will not shift out of low for a long time. Once it does finally shift it shifts normally until next re-start. AThe battery was recently changed. (3 dats ago)

MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

Run a scan and let me know what codes you have, start here.