Fuel pump constantly runs when key is turned on

SETAY.J
  • 1997 DODGE RAM
When I turn the key on, my fuel pump constantly runs. I have to either turn the key on and wait 20-30 minutes or play with the key turning it on and off until I can get the GEN light to come on. When the GEN light comes on I can hear the ASD relay clicking on and then I can usually start it up. When it does start I can turn the truck on and off with no problem. If it sits though without running I'm back to square one. Once the truck is started there is no problem with it running, it's just in the start up.
Anyone know what this could be?I have been checking similar issues that others have had but there seems to be tiny little differences between years and models.I need advice on this particular year and model.

Setay. J
Sunday, January 31st, 2016 AT 5:00 AM

Check to see if it's a bad relay sticking.
Sunday, January 31st, 2016 AT 8:28 AM
SETAY.J
Relay's seem to be working even when you change them around. All connections in the power box seems to light my probe.
Sunday, January 31st, 2016 AT 10:33 AM
Try removing transmission relay as it could power up fuel pump. If not it may be a pcm problem or oil pressure switch has a hot wire touching the one for fuel pump. Either that or body/battery ground is bad or a pcm problem.
Sunday, January 31st, 2016 AT 11:18 AM
SETAY.J
Thanks I'll try that tomorrow. I have been trying to figure it out all day. As far as the ground, my brother-in-law is a mechanic and that is the first thing he mentioned. He's one of those guys that won't work on family vehicles or even
his own. Couple of things I forgot to mention, 1) is when the key is on I hear a
slight whining noise coming from the IAC, I'm not sure if this is normal. 2) the other
thing is that one day I fuel ed up with the 87 octane gas and then talked with
the manager of the store for 45 mins, which is a friend but I left my truck running for all that time. When I left the truck started to diesel very badly. Now all I can run in it is 93 octane or add octane booster to the 87. When I got the fuel it was in the fall and don't the gas co. Change the blend around that time. At least that's what I attributed the dieseling to.
Sunday, January 31st, 2016 AT 3:58 PM
Clean the throttle plate on both sides and iac hole with choke cleaner and replace the iac motor.
Sunday, January 31st, 2016 AT 4:18 PM
SETAY.J
Finally back at it again after a week of being sick. I have cleaned the throttle body and replaced the Iac. Still no luck. Before you mentioned that the hot wire for the oil pressure switch could be touching the one for the fuel pump, where do I check for that? Also noticed a little bit of oil leaking out of the bell housing could this have any affects on the tone wheel making it tough for the cpk to read. When I bump the starter I sometimes can get the GEN light to come on but it doesn't always shut the fuel pump off. When I turn the key on sometimes the buzzer comes on but this has been since I got the truck along with the check engine light never coming on either.
Saturday, February 6th, 2016 AT 11:23 AM
I doubt the leak would have anything to do with thetone wheel, but pull out crank sensor and see if there is a buildup of gunk that may pe part of theproblem. You would check at the oil pressure switch, for the wires rubbed together. Other than that I have no further suggestions because of odd ball things like what you have a pro h as to physically look at
Saturday, February 6th, 2016 AT 3:31 PM
SETAY.J
Replaced crank sensor last week. Old one didn't have any oil build up on it.I'll check out the oil pressure switch but I seen only 2 wires instead of 3. Thanks for the help all of your suggestions were worth a try and greatly appreciated.I received more help from you than anyone else Thanks again.

Any oil build up on it. I'll check the oil pressure switch again but I seen only 2 wires instead of 3

o
Sunday, February 7th, 2016 AT 4:39 AM