Fuel leak

JOSH RABER
  • 1995 CHEVROLET TAHOE
Noticed that when I fill up my SUV it starts smelling like gas and it looks like it is leaking on the bottom of the tank by the little ridges that are on the tank. Any idea why or how to fix it? Has that happened to anybody else?
Wednesday, March 13th, 2019 AT 2:20 PM

SCGRANTURISMO

This actually has happened to before. In my case it was a fuel line going to my fuel filter that had a hose clamp back off on it. The fuel was leaking from the hose and was dripping on top of the fuel tank and running down the side and showing on the bottom of the fuel tank. Another possible cause could be the fuel filler neck. There is usually a gasket on the fuel tank where the neck goes into the tank at. Sometimes the gasket wears out and it leaks fuel from there. Check all lines and the around the filler neck for leaks. If not there follow the fuel line. The leak should be readily apparent and if it has been leaking for awhile, it will be "washed out" there. Get back to us with what you find out.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
Wednesday, March 13th, 2019 AT 7:52 PM
JOSH RABER
I have all new fuel pump and lines on the Tahoe all ready. So I don't think that's what's leaking. I cleaned the tank and the dripping starts at the bottom so I guess my tank might be cracked?
Wednesday, March 13th, 2019 AT 8:02 PM
SCGRANTURISMO
Hello again,

Yes. If the dripping is coming from the bottom than I would say that yes, the fuel tank is compromised. But to be absolutely sure, I have included instructions on removal and installation of the fuel tank, testing the fuel tank for leaks, and Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) from GM that you may or may not be interested in, down below in the diagrams. Please go through this information and get back to us with what you find out.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
Wednesday, March 13th, 2019 AT 8:39 PM