Front brakes what size hex are the caliper bolts

DAVIDBECKETT
  • 2005 FORD ESCAPE
I need to know what size hex tool I need to remove the caliper there are two bolts and they are hex what size hex socket bit or allen do I need? It is a ford escape xlt 2005
Friday, September 18th, 2015 AT 2:49 PM

CAR-MAN145
9MM extra long - here is a video that shows the job being done

https://youtu.be/dlIUJOYnYQc

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers
Tuesday, September 22nd, 2015 AT 1:31 AM
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2008 FORD ESCAPE
What size allen wrench or socket do I need to remove the front brake caliper?
Sunday, September 30th, 2018 AT 12:40 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
9 mm torx socket

Sunday, September 30th, 2018 AT 12:41 PM (Merged)
TATE165
  • 2005 FORD ESCAPE
Brakes problem
2005 Ford Escape 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

i cant get the brake assembly off after taking the two bolts off. The brakes are engaged and wont let go. Lol
MERLIN2021
Did you remove the guide pins or the mount pins? Make sure you removed the guide pins. Or use a big C clamp and compress the caliper piston, then all will slide off. Open the bleeder screw, push piston back, close bleeder. After pads are installed, add any needed DOT 3 Brake fluid to the master. After reassembly, open the bleeder again, let some fluid drip out, close bleeder. Pump pedal to obtain a firm pedal. All done!
BUFFALOBOB
  • 2008 FORD ESCAPE
I have had my 2008 Ford Escape 15 months, purchased new and only driven by myself. I have 27,600 miles on it. I commute to work about 46 weeks a year, and my average commute is 75 miles round trip 5 days per week.
I just took my Escape to a Ford dealer for a warranty repair of a transmission leak problem, and had the 30,000 mile inspection done as long as it was in the shop. They said my front brake pads were worn to 4MM and "crumbling" and should be replaced, and front rotors resurfaced.
Of my average 75 mile commute a day, about 65 miles is freeway/expressway driving where I virtually never come to a full stop. Maybe touch the brakes to slow down etc. The remainder of the commute is city driving but not frequent stops either.
Weekend travel is usually light. I do not "ride" my brakes or rest my foot on the brake pedal.
Does this sound reasonable that I have to have my brake pads replaced already? Am I doing something wrong that wears the brakes this fast? Any suggestions?
Bob in Buffalo NY
ZACKMAN
Hi Bob,

While is is surprising, it is not uncommon to have 27K highway miles SUV to have low brake pads. Due to its hefty size (roughly 4000 lbs), the manufacturer uses soft material pads as to reduce "jolts" when the brake system is applied. Even with your occasional stop-and-go driving, that is enough to wear the brake pad material to almost the wear mark.

It is not that you are doing something wrong, it is rather a question whether you want a soft ride or longer lasting brake system.

I would go for a second opinion though. I would go to a reputable national chain (Midas, Firestone etc) and have them look at the brake system. If they agree with your dealership, then I would go ahead and replace the pads and re-surface the rotors. This places can also offer you a better and more competitive pricing rather than the dealership.

The next things is to answer your own question. Do you want a soft ride during braking, or are you OK with some "jolts" or jerks during braking? If you want a nice, soft braking request them to install Raybestos ceramic pads, or premium semi-metallic of the same brand if you want a longer lasting brakes.
MEXCELL
  • 2007 FORD ESCAPE
My husband replaced the brakes on my escape over the weekend, and now theright front brake is grinding really badly. I looked at the roter this morning, and it is pretty torn up. He says we can continue to drive on it until he has an opportunity to repair it this weekend, I am concerned the brakes will fail if we continue to drive on them. My concern is not saving the roter (it is to late for that), but the safty of the vehicle. Your opinion is very valuable to me.
Thank you
M_H_RITZEL
How bad do they grind? Did your husband do that wheel? If it does not do anything except grind and the brakes works ok I would only drive it when I had to. Since I do not know what is happening with that brake I can not tell you whether it is not safe or not. It might be just a minor proplem or a major one. Driveing it has to be your decision. Discuss it with your husband, he might know what the grinding sound is and let you know if it is safe.
SERVICE WRITER
How can it be grinding if they were just replaced. That I don't understand.

IF there is a metal to metal contact, there will be an excessive heat build up that can cause a boiling affect in the brake fluid, damage to the caliper can happen, your braking distance will increase.

My opinion is that it is a mistake to drive it like that. But again I don't know the cause of the grinding and that makes a big difference regarding the necessity.
MR TOOLMAN
  • 2001 FORD ESCAPE
What is minimum thickness of rotor front
Every one is different due to different needs. All of them should have a stamping or cast on inside of rotor. In your case it's 22 mm minimum to throw it away