Power Problems

Tiny
DRAGON42531
  • MEMBER
  • FORD WINDSTAR
'87 Mercury Grand Marquis
54,000 Miles
5.0 EFI Automatic RWD
(fun giving it a little gas in a turn :wink:)

Other than a low/high idle. Like a wave. There are no odd sounds. Yes the car needs a tune up, plugs wires cap and roater, oil change ect. As far as leaks totaly unrelated to my problem I had a flex line blow. So I'm looking at a 100.0 brake job.
(JUST THOUGHT ABOUT IT)
This car has been parked on grass all winter. Thus brake damage and I'm sure a little electrical damage. Which leads us to.

My problem:
I bought my car days ago, got it legal and took it to work (short drive maybe 2 miles max each way) maybe 3 times in a matter of 2 days. One day the car wouldn't start when I went to go home. Never since I bought it maybe 3 days earlier has this happened. So I have a buddy jump it and drive it home with the lights off so it wouldn't die out. Bought a battery (yes the right one, installed correctly and everything) Cleaned the battery wire clamps and turned the car right over like the first time. Lights were full power and ran great. Next day. I take car to work, take it home 3 hours later, about an hour after I get home I go to take it out again. Dead. Car won't turn over. Same as the first time the starter whines and MAYBE even turns. Here I am maybe 5 hours later after reading a few things on this site. The battery is 100% dead. No door buzzer, can't more my power side views, windows. I bet my cigarette lighter doesn't work.

So. How after being driven just 1 hour before does my battery 100% die? (This is mostly an assumption since I don't have my buddys multimeter with me) All the facts point to the alternator. But. Once again I stress. 100% new battery, even if the alternator was shot 2 VERY short drives shouldn't drain a brand new battery.

I know, take it to a shop somewhere and get the alternator and starter looked at. But. It shouldn't be. The battery shouldn't die in a day. No matter what. My second thought would be something has been left on all night. Or. Something has been draining the battery. I've seen lights left on for hours and a car still start. And not on a new battery for that matter. And since I know 100% nothing that uses 1/2 the power lights do has been drawing power. I'm pretty much stumped. :Evil:

I'm kinda stuck here, so IM me please. I'm so peeved off.
Do you
have the same problem?
Yes
No
Monday, June 11th, 2007 AT 7:44 PM

9 Replies

Tiny
SERVICE WRITER
  • EXPERT
I wouldn't discount the alternator, although there may be a parasitic draw.

A word to the wise about the fishtail fun, is that it leads to rear axle seal failure. Not fun.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, June 11th, 2007 AT 8:26 PM
Tiny
DRAGON42531
  • MEMBER
The alternator was tested when I put in the new battery, we started the car up and tested at the battery terminals 13.9 volts giving the car some gas. That doesn't seem like it's enough, but what that doesn't account for is parasitic draw. Where could it be and how might I fix it without jump starting it and risking driving it 40 miles to the shop?

And another thing. When I bought it it had been sitting for months and started right away. If this problem existed before I bought the car the owner would have had to read my mind and drive out to where it was minutes before I went to see the car. Since I didn't tell him I wanted to look at it till I saw the car first. Then he started it right away.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, June 11th, 2007 AT 8:58 PM
Tiny
DRAGON42531
  • MEMBER
Did another jump start tonight. Turned the car off after 1 minute tried starting right afterwards. DEAD nothing, not even a click. Taking car to the shop, prolly for an alternator and the brake job.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, June 12th, 2007 AT 12:02 AM
Tiny
SERVICE WRITER
  • EXPERT
You need to be able to check the draw on the battery with a meter. Then one by one, you pull a fuse and see if the drop is on that circuit.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, June 12th, 2007 AT 4:32 AM
Tiny
DRAGON42531
  • MEMBER
Guess what, it was the alternator. Thanks
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, June 14th, 2007 AT 4:16 PM
Tiny
SERVICE WRITER
  • EXPERT
How bout that! 8)
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, June 14th, 2007 AT 5:54 PM
Tiny
DRAGON42531
  • MEMBER
This is still an electrical problem but also has to do with fuel and all that. Anyway, I need plugs and maybe wires and an oil change.

Stalling the car out in Park. Not a good thing, not to mention the fuel waste.

Should I get cheep stuff, or spend a little more for something with a more noticeable name?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Friday, June 15th, 2007 AT 9:01 PM
Tiny
SERVICE WRITER
  • EXPERT
I like auto lite plugs. Wires in Standard or Napa's belden line or motorcraft. What ever is the least expensive oil (10w30), napa pro select filter.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Saturday, June 16th, 2007 AT 7:52 AM
Tiny
DRAGON42531
  • MEMBER
'87 Mercury Grand Marquis
(1?)54,000 Miles
5.0 EFI Automatic RWD

Plugs, wires, and cap/roter are changed out.

My buddy seems to think that he needs to let his high millage cars warm up for 2-5 minutes before driving them so the valves can "seat" or whatever. I just don't think that in 2-5 minutes anything important would happen that wouldn't happen in maybe 30-45 seconds.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, June 24th, 2007 AT 11:10 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Recommended Guides