Instrument Cluster Replacement

RASANCHEZ
  • 1999 FORD WINDSTAR

I recently replace the instrument cluster in my Ford Windstar 1999, but when I try to power on the engine nothing happen, the van is dead, I got power from the battery and I can see the instrument panel lights on, so any idea what could the problem is? Do I need to reset something in my van?

Yes, the Anti-theft red light is flashing, it flash three times continuously then short pause, three times again.
Could be the alarm? I deactivate that and no luck.

It's hard to believe that, but the thing is how much the dealer is going to charge you for upload the settings or info from the old cluster to the new one?
How can you by-pass the anti-theft functions to be able to start your car?
I think it should be another and simple way to replace the instrument cluster in a ford windstar 1999.

Thanks.

Monday, July 23rd, 2007 AT 8:54 AM

MAJORDAD

From what I can find out, there is information on the old cluster that needs to be downloaded and the upload that information to the new cluster. I think it has something to do with the odometer and the ignition key. The keys are programmed.

Saturday, July 28th, 2012 AT 12:53 AM
LOUIELIVES

Turn the key to accessory, then push the anti-theft reset button located right under the dash below the steering column. You will have to do this every time you start the vehicle until it miraculously resets itself totally

Monday, March 27th, 2017 AT 7:48 AM
LOUIELIVES

Except that when I replaced my cluster with a used one I was able to reset to start the vehicle but there was this constant whine which I assume was part of my perimeter alarm so I'm going to resolder the contacts on my old one. Lost 29$ for buying the scrapyard one. Oh well.

Monday, March 27th, 2017 AT 7:53 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey,

Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out on the site whenever it can add information that will help.

Best, Ken

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Thursday, March 30th, 2017 AT 10:10 AM
LOUIELIVES

Resoldered cluster. It was simple. BTW. When replacing parts from a salvage yard. Try to stay with your particular year.I wasted $ on the new cluster (bulbs were different. Power door switches. Different. Take the old parts with you. Heater door clicking repair. Part was same and heater works now.I have a 2002 Windstar and took parts from a 2000. The heater door thing I got from a 2001. When removing the trim around the cluster, ( dash) turn the key to accessory, then push the retainer pin under the ignition cylinder and remove the ignition lock. It makes the job easier. Put the emergency brake on and put in low gear to get room to take everything apart. Back and forth (gear) as needed for room.

Thursday, March 30th, 2017 AT 7:20 PM