2003 FORD WINDSTAR POWER STEERING NOISE

• jpellman
  • 2003 Ford Windstar

Noises problem
2003 Ford Windstar 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100, 00 miles

The vehicle produces a noticeable dragging motor sound (you turn the wheel and the sound indicates a drag on the power steering pump). More noticeable when parking the vehicle or sitting in traffic. The sound level gets higher, after the vehicle has been driven some distance. No indication of a problem through the steering wheel.

Are you supposed to hear the power steering pump when driving this vehilcle in a parking lot or sitting in traffic?

Wednesday, April 21st, 2010 AT 12:59 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

The PS pumps in these vehicles have a history of making noies. It isn't uncommon. It is louder when moving slowly or stopped because the pump has to work harder to turn the wheels. Try to have it serviced. It may help, but I doubt it will completely fix the problem. NOTE: From my experience, aftermarket pumps and remanufacturered pumps make the same noise. Therefore, if you plan to replace it, spend the extra money and get a factory pump and have the rack and pinion and lines flushed properly.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Wednesday, May 12th, 2010 AT 1:34 PM