USING COOLANT BUT NO LEAKS DETECTED

2001 Ford Windstar

sinnedzurc

July, 26, 2008 AT 5:03 PM

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Ford Windstar 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 127000 miles

For the past two weeks I have added coolant to my Windstar Mini Van. There are no leaks on the garage floor. I can smell coolant after driving it. What gives?

July, 26, 2008 AT 5:44 PM

Are you experiencing overheating or temp gauge fluctuations. The best way to find out is to get it block and pressure test the cooling system this will identify leaks and combustion gases entering the cooling sytem.

sinnedzurc

July, 28, 2008 AT 9:29 AM

No, I have not had the pressure test. I will set an appointment to get it done. Thanks.

bigvol

July, 28, 2008 AT 9:58 AM

I WOULD HAVE YOUR WATER PUMP CHECKED OUT, THIS IS COMMON ON THE WINDSTAR, YOU WILL NOT NECCESARILY SEE A LEAK, IT BURNS OFF WHILE DRIVING
For the past two weeks I have added coolant to my Windstar Mini Van. There are no leaks on the garage floor. I can smell coolant after driving it. What gives?[/Quote]

sinnedzurc

July, 29, 2008 AT 2:44 PM

The problem was a simple one. The clamp had to be replaced. Of course this $1.50 part became a $82 total repair bill after the connection to the computer was factored in (clearing codes and all). But it could have been worse and for that I am truly grateful. Thank you to anyone that commented and offered help. This is a great site.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Hose Replacement - Upper - Chevrolet
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement
Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement