Automatic door will not close

TIM BREAM
  • 2001 FORD WINDSTAR
My passenger side sliding door is an automatic door. When you try to shut it, it will not close. It will keep opening up like something is between the door and the latch. It will not latch either if you try turning it to manual. The latch does not snap shut. If you try to snap the latch shut (in the inside of the door), it will not latch. You can put a screwdriver in the opening and hit something that resets the latch and then the door will close. I have tried to oil it, had it to a garage who said it would not fail for them, even though it consistently fails for me maybe thirty times in a row.
Tuesday, May 20th, 2008 AT 7:32 PM

COOKJA3441
Did you find a solution to your problem? I have exactly the same issue with my 2001 Windstar. We have owned since new.
+1
Sunday, August 31st, 2008 AT 4:25 PM
KEN

This seem like the door is out of adjustment since it works sometimes and not others but please confirm the latch is open when the door it closing. Here is a guide to show you what I am talking about:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-door-hood-or-trunk-will-not-close

Here is the sliding door adjustment diagrams (below).

Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, April 24th, 2018 AT 12:54 PM
BOOPAH
  • 2002 FORD WINDSTAR
Our passenger door on the driver side would not close. It would slide almost to the closing point, then slide open. I pushed down the button beneath the window to lock the door and the door slid shut, but now it is permanently locked and we cannot open the door. The dealer wants $795.00 to repair it. The fuse appears to be okay since everything else on that fuse is operational. I tried to pull up the lock button with pliers, but it will not budge. I removed the cover on the door handle, but could not see inside the door much. Can you help? The dealer's analysis (I paid $90.00 to have him look at the problem) is "RL sliding door latch and actuator + woring asse and need to adjust door assts and readvice" (I could not read the handwriting well--worse than a doctor's).
Tuesday, April 24th, 2018 AT 12:55 PM (Merged)
MASTER TECH DAN
The dealer is probably right the actuator is a little motor on the latch that locks the door and they freeze. Check the junk yard for a used one then take the door scin off to dissengage the rod so you can open it and replace the latch assembly.