SHIFT LOCK/ BRAKE LIGHTS

1995 Ford Thunderbird

Ahrenorlando

March, 2, 2009 AT 7:56 PM

1995 Ford Thunderbird 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

My car didnt want to shift out of park, and now the brake lights dont work either? I checked the fuses all of the and they are good. I checked the brake switch and I get negative in and negative out when I press the petal. The is no power going to the lights. Any suggestions? 95 Thunderbird (I would think it should be power at the pedal not ground?)

RyanBlizz

March, 11, 2009 AT 7:47 PM

I think you are on the right track, it has to be your brake pedal switch, or the wiring to it.

Your pedal switch should have one wire that is always grounded and one signal wire that completes the circuit when the switch is engaged (pedal pushed).

The transmission will stay locked and brake lights will not turn on until this switched is engaged. It should be a fairly inexpensive repair, $11 including shipping on eBay. I am sure you can also buy a generic one at any auto parts store.

Ryan

Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy