Alternator not charging

BOB RISINGER
  • 1995 FORD THUNDERBIRD
New alt & battery still not charging.
Friday, August 21st, 2009 AT 9:04 AM

BMRFIXIT

It sounds like you have a fuse out here is a the wiring diagrams to show you what to check for power and which fuses run the system please check it out and get back to us.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic1_474.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic2_233.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
+6
Sunday, August 23rd, 2009 AT 7:06 AM
JWW333
Nice! I replaced the STD fuse and the car charges again ya! I love this site.
Thursday, August 23rd, 2018 AT 11:35 AM
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1995 FORD THUNDERBIRD
The battery and alt have been tested and both are working properly but the battery is still not charging when running and something is draining the battery when running not when the car is shut off
Thursday, August 23rd, 2018 AT 11:35 AM (Merged)
KEN

This sounds like it could be a CD stuck in the player can you hear it running when the car is off?

This guide can help

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-dead-overnight

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
ASOTO98
  • 1993 FORD THUNDERBIRD
I tested the alternater at auto zone and it passed. I checked all fuses inside the car and engine compartment. I tested the harness of the alternator for bad fuse links and passed. The car starts and runs normal, but it won't charge the battery, alternator gauges is on the negetive side. The batery is OK. Can it be the computer? Need Help!. I scaned the computer codes and came out empty.
POET042005
Check the connections to your alternator make sure they are not corroded.

Next buy a cheap test light and check the connections at the alternator for 12 volt power.

Third if these two are fine then you have a short in the system some were.

Before the third step try the first two and get back with me. Then we will go over the third step more closely in detail.

Richard
-1
94T-BIRDGUY
  • 1994 FORD THUNDERBIRD
1994 thunderbird, 3.8, auto. NOT SC. Ok-

just swapped tranny. Completed this and car started and ran great for two weeks. Alternator stopped charging so I just swapped that out. Now immediately I hopped in to start her up to make sure this BRAND NEW not Rebuilt Alt. Was charging and that was that and. Turned key, very quick like split second churn by the starter and then ALL of the car lost its power from the battery. No lights no nothing, car is completely dead. Now, I checked all fuses and relays- OK- while I was standing there PUZZLED with the doors open, all of a sudden the Interior lights kicked on? Now can you say HAUNTED? Just kidding. So I happily climbed in and turned the key again. SAME RESULT. Starter cranked for a split second and car lost ALL ELECTRICAL FLOW THROUGHOUT. Any suggestions>?
POET042005
CHeck the connections on the side of the fuse box under the hood. Wiggle the wiring as you go to check for shorts. Next (if you have not already checked the battery connections do so 4 corrosion and tightness) CHeck 4 loose or corroded grounds.

Sounds like you have a bad connection.

______________________
I try to answer questions as though it were my car, like I m standing in your shoes looking to diagnose the problem.