CAR WON'T START

1992 Ford Tempo

Kelleyblue

July, 20, 2008 AT 1:22 AM

1992 Ford Tempo 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 207000 miles

1992 Tempo: Won't start when key is engaged. Battery voltage is 13.4V. Hear a click from a relay of some kind located between the battery seat and the firewall when key is engaged. Interior lights work and stay on when key is engaged without dimming. Does this sound like a bad relay? Could it be the alternator, eventhough the battery voltage is good? I only work on cars because I can't afford to have someone else do it for me.

merlin2021

July, 20, 2008 AT 6:46 AM

Clicking? Or nothing at all? If you hear a click, then either the battery is weak, or the starter, possibly bad battery cable connections, check and clean both ends of BOTH cables! Dissconnect negative(-) first, and put it on last! If no click the starter relay is no good!

Kelleyblue

July, 20, 2008 AT 1:34 PM

I'm sorry. I was real tired when I sent in the question. I replaced the starter about a month ago and it seems to have been working fine. There has been no telltale clicking like when the starter is going out. There is only a single click that happens immediately when the key is engaged. I had already cleaned the battery posts and clamps and checked the f; uid level in the battery, which is only 4 months old. Like I said earlier, the voltage from the battery was good, so I didn't think it was the alternator. My daughter informed me this morning that this isn't the first time she couldn't get it to start. The first three times, it would start if they tried again after waiting for an hour or so. Then everything worked fine again for a couple of weeks each time.

merlin2021

July, 20, 2008 AT 2:51 PM

Try shifting to neutral, could be the transmission Neutral Drive switch,(NDS) we called it the neutral saftey in the old days...
NEUTRAL DRIVE SWITCH (NDS) A/C INPUT 1. Faults in switch or switch circuits should set a service code. See QUICK TEST in TESTS W/CODES - EEC-IV article in the ENGINE PERFORMANCE section. If service code has not been set, turn ignition off. Locate NDS switch (on transmission) and clutch switch (on clutch pedal linkage). 2. Disconnect harness at both switches. Measure resistance across NDS terminals with transmission in Neutral and across clutch switch terminals with clutch pedal fully depressed. Each switch should have less than 5 ohms resistance. Replace switch if resistance is more than 5 ohms. Page 1 of 1 SYSTEM/COMPONENT TESTS - EEC-IV -1992 Ford Tempo GL 7/20/2008 src="http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_NDS_1.jpg" alt="http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_NDS_1.jpg" />

Look for #7 Sorry about the picture, only one I can find...

Kelleyblue

July, 20, 2008 AT 4:23 PM

It's an automatic. I'm thinking the starter relay may breakdown under load sometimes.

merlin2021

July, 20, 2008 AT 4:38 PM

Turn the key to on, get a piece of heavy guage wire or a screwdriver, touch the small terminal on top with the terminal the battery fuseible links attach to closest to the battery, if the solinoid is bad it will start this way.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe