SERPENTINE

1990 Ford Tempo

justinalderman

June, 21, 2010 AT 9:02 PM

1990 Ford Tempo 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 73000 miles

hello, I have a 1990 ford tempo gl and I am currently replacing the power steering pump. It tells me to remove the serpentine drive belt but then it says I need a special tool to release the tensioner. And on top of that I cant even find where I am supposed to release it at. If you could please help I would greatly appreciate it thanx justin alderman

June, 22, 2010 AT 3:34 AM

Fig. 15 Serpentine Drive Belt Routing

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_belt_8.jpg

Removal

Loosen adjustment, pivot and idler pulley bolts on accessories which need belts replaced.
Remove old belts.
Installation

Install new belts over pulleys. For V-ribbed belts, ensure that all V-grooves make proper contact with pulley.
Adjust belt tension.

fixitmr

June, 22, 2010 AT 5:17 PM

Per the picture above the automatic tensioner looks like it pushes down on belt to tighten. There is usually a hole in the arm for a breaker bar to insert so you can pull up on it. You can also use a ratchet wrench as they have the same connecting stud. If no hole is present then you can sometimes use the bolt head on the wheel to put a wrench on and lift. The assembly itself is a spring loaded swing arm with a wheel on the belt end.

Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement Ford
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz