YOUR TAKE ON COMPRESSION PSI

Ford Taurus

TaurusWheel

May, 16, 2006 AT 8:03 PM

Did compression reading on my 94 Taurus 3.0 65k miles, every cylinder was 160 psi, what is your take on this number? Good? Bad? I can't seem to find info in my books as to what the number should be, give or take. Just charts with info for high versus low, not interested in that. Reason I'm asking is slight pinging issue at highway speeds, occassionally. Timing is good, actually retarded it a little, seems to make no change, thanks for replies.

losone

May, 17, 2006 AT 12:48 PM

The compression is very good not excellent as it should be 180. If you do a wet test it will probably be 180+. It is even and shows a good engine. Not to worry except if it gets in the 110, s and each cyl is different.

TaurusWheel

May, 17, 2006 AT 5:28 PM

Appreciate the reply. It wasn't a wet test. I was surprised myself at the numbers, all being the same, plus or minus a hair, all at 4-5 cranks, each cylinder came up the same way. So what should I look at for ping issue? Maybe egr system? I did do a flow test with a voltmeter, was told the volt readings were not bad. What about removing upper intake manifold and making sure egr passages are completely clear? Any other ideas? Thanks

losone

May, 17, 2006 AT 5:56 PM

I would replace the EGR valve with a new one from Ford. It has been updated considerably and should take care of the ping. As you said cleaning the passages are good but you can do it without removing the manifold. Good luck

Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars
Replacing Head Gasket
Engine Oil Change and Filter
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8