Refilling coolant

VIKADELIC
  • FORD TAURUS
Yes I Have a Ford Taurus 2000 DOHC and I was wondering if you still use 50/50 ratio or does it need to be refilled with straight coolant. Cause my Cap says Atifreeze only. But the book I got Says add 50/50 ratio to my expansion tank after draining. My car is overcooling itself, So I am checking for proper coolant ratio to get my heat back. Heres whats happening. The car heater inside is all the way and the fan is blowing on full too. When it idle it will warm up but not to a point where you have to turn the heat down and when I am driving the air get s cooler then warmer. I figured maybe the thermostat.I dont see ant coolant leaks but can smell it after diving home when I park it back in the garage
Sunday, January 7th, 2007 AT 10:32 AM

TAURUSWHEEL
Mixture is 50 50, what does overcooling mean? Getting the heat back, does that mean you have lousy interior heating? Or the engine is running cool? Is the fan running all the time without the compressor on? As long as the thermostat is doing it's job, car should be near normal temps, that's it's purpose.
Sunday, January 7th, 2007 AT 10:39 AM
MATHIASO
To TaurusWheel

An engine that runs too cold and fails to reach it normal operating temperature.
A lack of heat in the passenger area is often the first sign that indicates an overcooling problems, but not always.
When the thermostat sticks in its open position. It allow coolan to flow trough the radiator at all the time, causing only cool air in the passenger area.(Overcooling)
Sunday, January 7th, 2007 AT 11:25 AM
TAURUSWHEEL
Yeah I know, I was trying to get some info as to whether" trying to get the heat back" meant no interior heating, or getting the car running at normal op temps, sometimes I don't read well, or the questions are not framed too well.
Sunday, January 7th, 2007 AT 11:32 AM
MATHIASO
To vikadelic

A 50-50 mixture of antifreeze and wayer that 's presurized to about 14 psi won't boil until it reaches a temperature of about 260 degrees.
50-50 % is correct.
Your cap saying "antifreeze only" mean that do not put oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid. BUT antifreeze only and that is 50-50 or according to your book.( 50% antifreeze - 50% plain water)

For the overcooling problem check if the fan is working all the time ( and let me know)
otherwise, remove your thermostat and check it. :)
Sunday, January 7th, 2007 AT 11:50 AM