FREEZE PLUG ON '97 4.0L TAURUS CYLINDER HEAD?

• matdkat
  • 1997 Ford Taurus

Hi,
Got a 1997 Taurus GL, 4.0L Vulcan OHV, flex fuel with 107,700 miles. Has been sitting in the driveway for a number of years, getting it ready for my son now. Put in a new battery and it fired right up. Drained and flushed the radiator with Prestone Radiator Cleaner. When running with fresh water after the flush, after it came up to operating temp, looks like water if being expelled from the right side of the front cylinder head, just behind the ignition coil pack mount. I have to disconnect the mount to get a better look at this. Is this some type of freeze plug on the cylinder head? If so, how do I remove and reinstall a new one? I do have a Haynes repair manual - no help on this.
Thanks in advance!
MATDKAT

Tuesday, August 28th, 2007 AT 2:12 PM

• rasmataz

If its leaking pry it out, get a new one and press it in correct socket size will do the trick, make sure you use sealant.

Tuesday, August 28th, 2007 AT 4:50 PM
  • matdkat

Hi Ras,
Thanks so much for the advice. Sure enough, after getting a better look at the plug, see a nice hole in it! I have removed it already and cleaned up the opening on the head. Anys suggestions as to what type of sealant I should use for the new plug?
Thanks again,
MATDKAT

Tuesday, August 28th, 2007 AT 5:18 PM
  • rasmataz

For me am cheap I just use JB weld-ask the partstore what's best they'll hook you up.

Tuesday, August 28th, 2007 AT 5:29 PM