EGR pressure sensor heat damage

FLCRACKER610
  • FORD TAURUS
Hi
I have a 1995 Ford Taurus 3.0 V6, around 81000 miles.
I found that the EGR pressure sensor has been damaged by heat that is coming from the pressure tube connected to the pipe that runs from exhaust manifold to the EGR valve. My question is, Because of the very hot gases coming out of the tube, what keeps the rubber tube and the EGR pressure sensor from melting? I hope this question makes sense, because I don’t understand how I can keep the sensor from getting damaged.
Wednesday, April 18th, 2007 AT 7:51 PM

TAURUSWHEEL
I have a 94 Taurus 3.0, never had an issue with that sensor being affected by heat. Usually the rubber tube fails from age and prolonged effects from the heat as a matter of course, yours is actually melting? How many have you gone thru?
+1
Wednesday, April 18th, 2007 AT 10:12 PM
FLCRACKER610
Thanks for your reply, TaurusWheel
Only one has been damaged that I know of. Here is a little history about this car. It belongs to my stepdaughter; she received it from her aunt who did not take the best care of it.

Because of the heat coming out of the metal tube into the rubber hose and eventually to the sensor port has caused the damage. When I found the damage, the rubber hose was burnt from the stream of hot gases coming out of the metal tube and before the rubber hose failed it cause melting type of damage around the sensor port from the hot gas. I know this seams like a dumb question, however, hot exhaust gases are suppose to come out of this tube right? The pressure sensor is there to monitor the pressure in the pipe running between the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve, right? Could the EGR valve not opening or working correcting be causing the hot exhaust gas to build up and leading to the EGR pressure sensor damage?
I hope this makes sense, a lot of words to describe this problem.
Thanks for the help.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/69554_F2AE9J460AA_2.jpg

+2
Thursday, April 19th, 2007 AT 5:46 AM
MERLIN2021
If it happens again. You have a backpressure problem, or, a restriction in the exhaust!
+1
Thursday, April 19th, 2007 AT 4:32 PM
TAURUSWHEEL
Are you experiencing any run issues like pinging, any check engine light? If the egr isn't up to snuff, pinging is usually the result, it could be still opening, but not enough, however pinging can also be caused by dirty intake valves, or various carboned-up parts and orifices.
Friday, April 20th, 2007 AT 9:08 PM
FLCRACKER610
Hi TaurusWheel
Thanks for responding my questions.
It runs rough an idle, sometimes it quits running just as you step down on the gas when leaving a stop light. Other than that it runs OK, I guess, it s my stepdaughters car and sometimes it hard to useful information from her.
How could the EGR pressure sensor and the rubber tube connecting the sensor to the EGR valve / exhaust manifold pipe becomes damaged from excessive heat? Is there a restricting orifice inside the metal tube? The EGR sensor tube was repaired a few months ago because it had broken off the larger air pipe. Maybe a restriction was inside this tube and became damaged or lost at the time of repair and because it s missing it allows too much exhaust gas out of the tube and damaging the sensor?

Because of the cost of the replacement EGR pressure sensor, I would like to understand the root cause of the damage to original sensor.
Any Idea s?
+1
Saturday, April 21st, 2007 AT 5:42 AM
DOCTORD453
Sounds to me like a similar problem I am having with my 2003 Taurus. Was giving code for DPFE sensor. Replaced sensor but wasn t the problem. After blowing the hose off the new DPFE sensor and breaking the plastic hose nipple off. I have since learned that there is too much back pressure in the exhaust system indicating a possible problem with he catalytic converter being stopped up. This, causing the hot exhaust gas to blow back through the DPFE sensor. Probably how yours was melted. Check your catalytic converter for restricted flow.
Thursday, March 8th, 2018 AT 9:56 AM
KEN
Yep happens all the time on these cars,

Here is a guide to help confirm the issue.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-a-catalytic-converter

Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Cheers, Ken

+1
Saturday, March 10th, 2018 AT 11:54 AM
DOCTORD453
Thanks Ken. I really didn t know if I was suppose to reply to this post or not. But felt it might be helpful information. As this site is where I was given the information originally to deal with my problem. Hope you find the solution.
Saturday, March 10th, 2018 AT 5:44 PM
KEN
I have only seen a plugged cat do this kind of damage to the DPFE sensor.
Monday, March 12th, 2018 AT 11:16 AM