Engine wont start

OMGNOWAY
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
On the way home from work yesterday, on the freeway, I heard a squealing noise, then my car started to bog down, I pulled it over and shut it off, white smoke came out of the engine.
Now, my hubby replaced the water pump today and it wont start.
the car is cranking, but wont start, he is stumped as to why it wont start
Sunday, July 8th, 2007 AT 2:00 PM

BLM
It sounds like you've blown a head gasket. You can tell by looking at the dipstick. If it looks milky or muddy, then coolant has mixed with the oil.

check this out

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

If this is the case, you will need to remove the spark plugs and clean or replace them. You will also need to change the oil and the coolant. You will need to keep doing this often until you get the head gasket replaced.

I hope I'm wrong.
Wednesday, September 26th, 2007 AT 9:45 PM
SMORYAN
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
  • 95 MILES
Sometimes when I turn off my engine to get gas during my 400 mile trip to school, my car won't start and I need to jump it. I have a new battery and starter. What could be the problem?
+1
Wednesday, May 3rd, 2017 AT 11:39 AM (Merged)
DENTRAV
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
Engine problem
1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 119, 23 miles

I own a 1999 Ford Taurus 6-cyl, it turns over but will not start. I have sprayed starter fluid and still nothing? What can I do now. We live in the boondocks so I have no help. I'm pretty good with my hands.

Stuck in up-state NY
BLACKOP555
Well are you getting bright, blue, well defined spark at all cylinders?
DENTRAV
Figured out the problem. The wire to the crank control sensor has a break and was not allowing the engine any spark!
BLACKOP555
Good job.
BANNWAY
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Car will not start. Had a jump and it started up. Ran three days okay and would not start again. Had jump and it started up and ran two days okay. Third day had jump and will not turn over at all. Headlights and interior lights are on with no dimming.
BMRFIXIT
Check and suspect the starter
KCGIBBS
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl 64000 miles

I am not sure if I have a bad battery or if it is something else. The battery for the last day or two seems to be weak. Now the car won't start even with a jump. Will a battery go bad that quickly or do I have another problem to look at?
Wednesday, May 3rd, 2017 AT 11:40 AM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT
Remove battery terminals inspect and clean
re tighten and check
turn lights on try to start does the lights dim or go out if not suspect bad starter
if so have the battery charged and tested
+1
TANKERDUFF2002
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
Computer problem
1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 111000 miles

My 1999 Ford Taurus over heated, because of a broken hose.I have replaced the hose, but now I cannot start the car. It has spark and I can hear the fuel pump working. The engine turns, but it will not start. I was thinking maybe I needed to reset the computer, but im not sure where to start with that.
BMRFIXIT
Is it turning over but no start
check for spark
check for fuel and fuel pressure
do a compression test
let me know
CYBERKITTY7480
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
1999 Ford Taurus Engine Size unknown Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 120000 miles

On friday I let my car (1999 Ford Taurus) run for about 20 minutes to heat up. I drove my car for about a mile when it suddenly cut off. It would not restart. I had the alternator and batter checked at autozone. The battery needed to be recharged, and alternator was no good. But even after the alternator was replaced and the battery was recharged the car still wouldnt start. Then the starter was checked, but I was told that was fine. I am at a loss for what could be wrong. I had to replace my alternator and batter about year and a half ago. It seems odd to me that the alternator would go bad again, so soon.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
MERLIN2021
Start with the basics, and work your way up, Last tune up was? Wires plugs ALL filters? If all that is ok, check for a stuck EGR, then test fuel pump pressure, If it won't restart, determine what's missing, the engine needs three things to run, Spark at all plugs, gas to all cylinders, and compression in all cylinders, tho an engine may run lacking one in one cylinder, it won't run very well! Does the engine crank? Or does it not?
+1
CYBERKITTY7480
I actually asked a mechanic to take a look at my car a couple of months ago b/c I thought it needed a tune up, he said I didnt need one. So I havent had a tune up since I have owned the car. Which is for about 2 years.

The engine doesnt crank. What is an EGR?

Would it be possible to mess up my engine if I kept fuel in the car and it never ran hot? I only ask b/c a friend stated I might have blown a gasket.
-1
MERLIN2021
If the engine does not crank, on the front where the pulleys are, at the bottom pulley you will see a single sensor with a plug attached push that wire on a bit and wiggle it, then see if it starts, none of the things you mentioned will prevent it from cranking. The Crank sensor will though!
SHARPMAN12
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 106000 miles

My Ford Taurus will start up just fine and then for some reason it won't turn over after a couple of hours after driven. It doesn't get hot or smeel of fuel. Then it will start up again and can be driven just fine. There is plenty of cranking power, but it sounds like there is no fuel getting to the motor. It's a used car that I just purchased over the summer. I have no idea the last time it had a tune up or fuel filter placed on the car. Sometimes the engine seems to ride rough.

My wife started the car on sunday and it drove just fine to the store and then when she came out 2 hours later it wouldn't start. I then went back after a couple of hours after that and it stated with no issues.
SMUNOZ0329
Has anyone told you, you may need a fuel pump, if your not getting fuel to engine it wont start. I'm not a mechinac, but have issues with our car and we are learning different things. Hope you figure out what the probelm is.
Next time when it refuses to start don't wait for nothing do below to determine if its a fuel or spark related problem and get back with some testing results so that I can continue to assist with this intermittent no start condition

Disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor /distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, ECM, Ignitor camshaft and crankshaft sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it
CAVEMANJB
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
My wife drives a 1999 Ford Taurus. After driving the car will not start back up, and the "Theft" light on the dash board flashes and makes a clicking noise. I removed the positive connector from the terminal, cleaned the minimal corrosion that was there, and when I reconnected it the car started.

This doesn't always work though. Now I have to disconnect and reconnect the positive cable several times before it will start. Everytime I reconnect it power is restored in the vehicle (radio, wipers etc.) Then when I turn the key it loses power immediately and the "Theft" light flashes.

A couple things to note: the car has had an autostart system installed, and they bypassed the security system to do so, though it worked fine for some time since that. Also, I changed a headlight recently. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but thought I would mention.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be?