2003 Ford Taurus Engine not starting

RMOORE009
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS

2003 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

I am having problems with my Taurus. When I go to start it, it will turn over making a grinding noise but wont start. Every time I try to start it, it makes a grinding noise. It was working fine yesterday afternoon.

Friday, June 5th, 2009 AT 8:54 AM

2CARPROS KEN

It sounds like the battery is low on charge if it is more than three years old I would replace it. If the battery is good then the starter needs replacement, here is a guide that will help you see what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-starter-motor

I would remove the battery and take it to your local parts store and have it tested to make sure it is holding a good load. Call around first to make sure they test battery's and starters. Then if that tests ok remove the starter and have them test it. Let me know how it goes.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 AT 11:49 AM
KEVIN1127
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS

Ok I just bought a 2003 ford Taurus from a family member. She kept very good care of it and I got it for a great price. Well I had the car for a week and replaced the starter the altinator the battery and the ac compressor froze up so I bypassed the pully. Worked great for about 2 weeks. Wendsday I drove to work just fine 6am. When I got off 3.30pm my car started fine but squealed louder then any car ive heard me begin embarrassed I drove off a short distance down the road I pulled over popped the hood turned the ignition off abd took the key out the car was still running but at a very low idle and still squealing. I saw no problems so closed the hood and put the key back in and turned to on. The car jumped up to normal idle and stoped squealing. Thinking it was ok I drove about 30min to Wal-Mart drove great. When I got back to the car it wont start. Turn ignition to on all lights work all power works, try to start it and nothing no click clank clunk nothing the motor doesnt even turn over. Tested the battery, altinator, look at serpintine belt tension everything good. So I thought ok maybe starter. I jumped the starter off my battery it spins fas. And free but still wouldn't turn motor. Any ideas please my kids start school in 1 week and im about to be fired please someone have a answer

Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 AT 11:50 AM (Merged)

Sounds like the starter drive is broke in the starter a rebuilt one should take care of it or a new starter drive for starter. Unless there is some kind of engine damage.

KEVIN1127

Thats. What I was thinking because the starter still spins freely just doesnt engaged with the flywheel. Is there a way I can definitely ensure thats the issue I dont realy have money to throw. Away thank you

It's either the starter drive or teeth are torn off flywheel, there isn't a test other than being on the car because if autoparts tests it they will say starter is good because they can't load the drive. Meaning they can't put like a load on teeth to see if it's any good or not an dit needs to be.

KEVIN1127

Ok just got back from the car. Crankshaft turnes freely so I no the motor isnt seized. I turned it completely stopping every quarter and the starter still wont engage. If I take the starter out can I inspect the teeth on it? And weird to me when you turn the ignition tostart it does nnothing the only way the starter spins is if I put a hot wire to it. So I thought might be a voltage problem. I used a tester at conections from battery to silinoid and from silinoid to starter its checking out fine. The only problem I found was a relay kicking and getting really hot. But it is the assesory delay relay so pretty sure its nothing to do with that.

Try resetting your anti theft unit if no manual look online I think you have finally relayed to me what is wrong

MP_GIRL09
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS

I have a new battery and starter in my car and it will not start. What else could be causing it not to start?

**No crank at all/nothing/nada when key is engage to starting position

Could be a blown fusible link, the starter, starter relay, park and neutral switch/transmission position switch and ignition switch assuming the battery condition and connections are good. Note:If it doesn't apply disregard.

GERALDWA
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS

2003 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 104000 miles

When trying to start my taurus I get a clicking sound which seems to be coming from the relay/fuse box. Fuses are good. I tried shorting the relay and when I did, the engine turned over. Assuming it was the relay I went and got a new one only to have the same clicking noises continue. When jumping the car the clicking gets much louder and seems to be coming from deeper in the engine compartment, most likely the starter.

Shorting out the starter relay caused the engine to turn over-check and test the transmission range switch and ignition switch.

-1
COWENS
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS

I have a 2003 Taurus, replaced the engine with a 2005 block & heads. Intake manifold, plenum and wiring are from original 2003 engine. The engine cranks and has fire & fuel but wont start. I have checked spark, fuel pressure, compression, and electrical connections. Fires but doesnt start. Almost sounds like timing is premature.
Both motors are VIN S 3.0 OHV engines

WRENCHTECH

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

COWENS

As I stated in the post. All of these have been checked and are within range. No trouble codes are stored either. Letting the engine sit does not improve things.

WRENCHTECH

OK, then it has passed all those tests. That means the engine is running and you no longer need help. Now, if your engine is still not starting, you have not passed all those tests because the engine would be running if you had.

Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 AT 11:51 AM (Merged)
COWENS

If the engine was running I wouldnt have asked the question. I also wouldnt have asked if I had not exhausted other possibilities

WRENCHTECH

If you want my advice, go back and complete every one of those tests again and post all of the results. You have missed something.

COWENS

NOID light test. Passed all injectors
Spark check test. Passed using OEM spark test tool set for ignition type
Fuel Pressure test. Passed, fuel rail does not have a valve for attaching a pressure tester, measurement obtained using an engine analyzer connected to OBD port to read fuel pressure @ sensor. Within normal limits.51 PSI
All cylinders between 150 and 165 PSI on compression test.

Motor does NOT start. If it had a distributor I would say it was off time

FASTFREDDIE
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS

I have a 2003 taurus when I start it it runs for a few minutes and then it sounds rough and then it stalls and wont start again, and when I go out and try it later it does the same thing.

DR. HAGERTY

Check the fuel pressure and delivery.